Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Allergic to Vitamin D3
lovesweinerdogs posted:
Hi guys! Spring break is over for us-didn't get as much done as I had intended but I did get a few things accomplished. Got to spend some time with my folks and my "grandkids"-two mini-dauchshunds!

I've got a question. My primary wanted me to start Vit D3 but, when I started taking it, I suddenly developed severe abdominal spasms and diahheria (I can't spell today!) I stopped the Vit D and the problems stopped. I waited a couple of weeks and tried again-same results. I tried this four times and same results. Now I don't have to take the Vit D-it just comes back on it's own. Doc shrugged and said she 'd never heard of anyone reacting to Vit D. Diagnosed Irritable Bowel Syndrome and sent me home. What the heck? I've never heard of an allergic reaction turning into a permanent condition.This has been going on since before Christmas. Finally our family MD took pity on me and gave me some anti-spasmodic which is a huge relief!

How about it WebMD staff. Ever heard of something like this?

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
I've not seen anyone have this type of reaction to Vitamin D.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
106 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.