Includes Expert Content
Ms in children?
PebbyNDistefano posted:
Hi, I am new to this forum and have a question about MS. I would appreciate any views any of you may have. Please try not to use initials... because I have no idea what half of them mean lol.

Ok here goes, my daughter (who is 3 and adopted) has a paternal grandmother and paternal aunt who both have had MS and have died from the disease. I am wondering... what are her chances of having this disease and are there any things I can do to help prevent it... for example.. giving her extra vit c.. or extra vit d?

I really appreciate (in advance) the time you take to answer these questions... I have been reading so many conflicting stories online.. I am just not sure what to believe.

Emma_WebMD_Staff responded:
HI PebbyNDistefano,

I am glad you found your way to our MS Community. Your daughter is very luck to have you! I wanted to give you a link to our Multiple Sclerosis Health Center , that might be able to answer your questions a bit more. We have some wonderful members here too, so hopefully some of them can jump in to help as well.

Good luck!
Emma

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
We know that there is an increased risk to develop multiple sclerosis if you have a first degree relative with the disease (mother, father, brother, sister, child); the risk is about 2-4%.
Other than that there is even less risk. I do not think you have a lot to worry about. We do not know how to prevent MS yet since we do not completely know specifically why it starts.