Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Ms in children?
PebbyNDistefano posted:
Hi, I am new to this forum and have a question about MS. I would appreciate any views any of you may have. Please try not to use initials... because I have no idea what half of them mean lol.

Ok here goes, my daughter (who is 3 and adopted) has a paternal grandmother and paternal aunt who both have had MS and have died from the disease. I am wondering... what are her chances of having this disease and are there any things I can do to help prevent it... for example.. giving her extra vit c.. or extra vit d?

I really appreciate (in advance) the time you take to answer these questions... I have been reading so many conflicting stories online.. I am just not sure what to believe.

Emma_WebMD_Staff responded:
HI PebbyNDistefano,

I am glad you found your way to our MS Community. Your daughter is very luck to have you! I wanted to give you a link to our Multiple Sclerosis Health Center , that might be able to answer your questions a bit more. We have some wonderful members here too, so hopefully some of them can jump in to help as well.

Good luck!
Emma

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
We know that there is an increased risk to develop multiple sclerosis if you have a first degree relative with the disease (mother, father, brother, sister, child); the risk is about 2-4%.
Other than that there is even less risk. I do not think you have a lot to worry about. We do not know how to prevent MS yet since we do not completely know specifically why it starts.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Wealth of vitamin D and MS information
There is a lot of information on vitamin D and MS at VitaminDWiki. Shortcut to the MS material is http://tinyurl.com/MSVitaminD . You ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.