Skip to content
Loss of thought
mmthlvr posted:
Morning,

I know memory issues are a part of MS, but does anyone feel your thoughts slipping away? I've had several relapses since Feb & now,from time to time, I can feel my thoughts fade away. I feel myself starting to forget but no matter how hard I try I can't stop it & then it's gone. Any input would be great.
Hugs,
Tammy

duchessmom responded:
Yes, I know exactly what you're describing ... I think of it like mercury in old-fashioned thermometers (or maybe I'm the only one old enough to remember them before they went digital?!!?). Anyway, when a thermometer dropped and broke, the mercury would land on the floor in drops -- but the more you tried to pick it up, the more it would split into pieces and scurry away and you couldn't catch up to it, and then it was gone. That's what my thoughts are like. I try desperately to hold onto them, but they're like mercury slipping and breaking apart and then they're gone.

No advice to give ... just letting you know I experience it, too. Sorry.

mmthlvr replied to duchessmom's response:
I do remember those thermometers( I'm old too), and that was a great description. That is exactly how it is, thanks for writing. How are things going for you?
Hugs,
Tammy

duchessmom replied to mmthlvr's response:
Hugs to you, too -- I'm still grateful to you for your understanding and supportive posts when I was so anxious about my upcoming spinal tap. Thank you.

I thought of another way to describe losing thoughts. It's like when you wake up from a dream and you try to remember the dream -- the harder you try, the more you feel it slipping away -- you think and think, and desperately try, and it just slithers into darkness and then the darkness swallows it up and it's forever gone. That's what happens to my thoughts.

I wish we both didn't have to know what this is like! Blessings to you, Tammy --

Fondly,
Elizabeth

Csewhappy replied to duchessmom's response:
Hi to you both Elizabeth and Tammy,

I know exactly where you're coming from. I think of something and virtually as soon as I feel the thought's interesting/important it goes to auto-erase. So often, I start to talk and it's gone, virtually before I open my mouth. I hate it, but it happens every day, many times a day and there's nothing I can do about it. In fact, the more I try to grasp the thoughts, the more I look like a lemon and the more bewildered I feel!!

The way you've described it is EXACTLY how it happens and feels ... I used to chase those mercury drops as a student nurse. Be it thoughts, conversations, remembering what I've gone to get, they just disappear into the ether - even when I'm trying desperately to cling to them.

If I've started a sentence and have no knowledge of what I was actually wanting to say, I now give up 'gracefully', immediately and hope the thought'll come back to me later. Sometimes it does, most times it doesn't :-( Still, everybody I know just accepts it and knows I can't help it. The more frustrated I look, the more anxious they get for me ... so I just move on as fast as I can with something else. I don't know of another strategy or answer. Sorry.

At school (I'm back teaching on a reduced time table), my students are great and try to remind me of the previous sentence, in case it helps to trigger my memory. That does sometimes help. If they remember word for word what I'd said before my words ran out, it sometimes triggers the earlier thought. Mind you, it's doubly embarrassing when I do exactly the same again AND again.

My GP's wonderful and suggested 'writing things down' ... but, if I even get as far as thinking 'pen ... paper ...', the thought I had is a thing of the past with NO link to now. In fact, that's a sure-fire guarantee to chase those thoughts away faster! It works for some things, but not for this 'memory auto-erase function' that's crept in.

Big hugs and total empathy heading across to you both,
Carol

duchessmom responded:
Is this "loss of thought" part of MS? Is it a classic symptom? Is it unique to MS? Until your post, I had never made the connection.

mmthlvr replied to duchessmom's response:
Most people I know who have MS have dealt with this from time to time. When I get hot or tired it's worse. Do you experience this often?
Hugs
Tammy

lovesweinerdogs responded:
Holy cow, you guys! That mercury comparison is great-I couldn't have described it better! My doctor also suggested writing stuff down. Sometimes I actually get it written down and then run off and forget the note. My boss has learned to just shake her head and walk away when I show up to work in different socks or in my houseshoes or something silly like that.

Thank you all for posting these issues-I don't feel so alone when I'm in the community. In fact, thanks for everything! Hang in there, Tammy! We're all with ya!

Sb456 replied to lovesweinerdogs's response:
Wow, that is a great description! I have been having these problems too. Just tonight, I went to send my mom a text. After I picked up the phone, I didn't remember what I was going to do. Then I remembered *text mom*. I started my sentence, which was already thought out in my head. Then I lost the other half of my sentence. It took me a couple tries of picking up my phone to remember what the heck I was trying to tell her.

It wasn't really important either! All that work too...

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Reliv does work
I thought Reliv was a hoax too. But it's not. You need to take it regularly and consistently and it proves miracles. My mom was diagnosed ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.