Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
leg swelling with ms
An_204932 posted:
my mother has had ms for 16 yrs. here lately her leg or foot will swell. could this be related to the ms?

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
Patients with multiple sclerosis who have reduced leg function, especially if they sit in a wheelchair all day tend to get swelling in her legs.
However there are other causes of leg and foot swelling. This problem should be discussed with your mother's physician.

An_204933 responded:
I just took my mother to the dr. today and he said her swelling is a combo of her ms and arthritis. Thank you for taking the time to write!
I was also wondering what the chances are of me getting ms? I have noticed a numb spot on my shoulder that tingles. Sometimes it is almost unbearable. I am close to the age my mom was diagnosed.

Neil S Lava, MD replied to An_204933's response:
Because your mother has multiple sclerosis, you have a slightly greater risk of developing this disease. The risk is between 2-4% compared to the general population.This is not a big risk.
Numbness is a nonspecific complaint and can have many causes. You might discuss your symptoms and concerns with your physician.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Wealth of vitamin D and MS information
There is a lot of information on vitamin D and MS at VitaminDWiki. Shortcut to the MS material is http://tinyurl.com/MSVitaminD . You ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.