Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
viral infection and flare up
cubbyt posted:
I have a viral infection have had high fever and a severe headache. Went to the doctor and he said I have a viral infection. I have ms and my speech has been affected and my balance is off and my legs are heavy and weak. Will this go away after the infection is gone or should I call my neurologist and do I need steroids

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
Infections and fever can affect the speed of electrical transmission in the nervous system. Those areas that have been damaged by the immune system (plaques) will malfunction causing worsening of symptoms.
Usually when the infection and fever go away the neurological function should return to baseline.

Nancy04232004 replied to Neil S Lava, MD's response:
I have to say that a viral infection of the stomach is what started me on this journey of MS. How did this happen? Soon after I got the stomach flu, my vision went out into having double vision. The vision returned to normal after recovering from the stomach flu, only to go double vision two months later, that lasted for 8 weeks. It was during this time that I found out I have MS. My one and only relapse (thank goodness) was also from having a flu bug, only this time in having a high fever of 102 degrees that lasted for a week and a half. Because of this, another serious case of the flu can put me in danger of another relapse. This requires me to eat a healthly diet, to be away from others who have the flu and to take the flu shot every year. All is in addition of me being on Avonex.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Dreams: My Journey with Multiple Sclerosis
At seven years old I absolutely knew what I wanted to do with my life: become a performer and maybe head for Broadway! A basement ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.