Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
What if you cannot have an MRI?
lovesweinerdogs posted:
Hi all and hope everyone is doing well tonite. I have a question about diagnostic testing. I had to have surgery on my lower back and have steel plates and screws in my back. I assume this means I cannot have an MRI done. Is there another test that can be used to detect the lesions?

Thanks for your support!

Dawn

hackwriter responded:
Dawn,

An MRI would be contraindicated if you have metal in your back. A neurologist would suggest other types of scans, have you seen a neuro yet? The doc can tell you more about your options.

Kim

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
Since we have been using MRI for many years, the hardware used in surgical procedures is no longer ferromagnetic and therefore MRI safe. You can check with your surgeon as to what type of material was used in your surgery.

Curiousinoregon replied to Neil S Lava, MD's response:
What if one has a metal prosthetic in their ear not compatible with MRI. Will a CT be able to detect enough

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Wealth of vitamin D and MS information
There is a lot of information on vitamin D and MS at VitaminDWiki. Shortcut to the MS material is http://tinyurl.com/MSVitaminD . You ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.