Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What's Up Wednesday - What are you reading?
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
Years ago I was a bookworm, always had a couple books laying around, finishing one and anxious to start another. I also had multiple magazines, bookmarked where I had left off reading. The Sunday NY Times was delivered to my door. I couldn't wait to sit down in the evening or relax on the weekend with a great read!

Now, life gets in the way, I still have not cracked open the first of the Stieg Larsson Trilogy, "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" I got for Christmas. The last book I read was "The Same Kind of Different as Me" - over the summer! Time to make time to read!

Share with us your favorite - Do you enjoy the great novels from long ago, mystery or romance? Hardback, Paperback, Nook or Kindle? Would you rather a magazine or newspaper?

Elizabeth

PS - I just realized, I DO read every night, with my six year old, last night it was Graeme Base's "My Grandma Lives in Gooligulch" and "How Do Dinosaurs Day Goodnight" by Jane Yolen.

hackwriter responded:
I'm a writer, so reading has always been important. Reading has fallen by the wayside for me lately, too. I, too, used to get the NY Times (did the crossword in ink, no less), had subscriptions to The New Yorker, Altantic, and Harpers, Christian Science Monitor. But lately I only do online research. Disease has certainly distracted me and changed my reading habits.

Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment, Iris Murdock's The Black Prince, Mary Gordon's Spending remain my top three favorite novels. Karen Armstrong's A History of God is my favorite scholarly book.

Recently received a Kindle and read Benjamin Franklin's autobiography. Love paper books, but Kindle is a great alternative, though the e-books are not as inexpensive as a two-dollar used paperback from Amazon!

Reading is brain food for a starved and foggy mind!

Kim

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to hackwriter's response:
INK ! I'm impressed!

Since I am a newbie, would love to know more about your writing. Has MS also impacted your writing?

Your magazine list sounds like my old one, I did not subscribe but had them at work. I miss the New Yorker.

Any other readers out there?

Elizabeth

hackwriter replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Multiple Sclerosis has completely changed my writing focus. I'm writing a memoir now about coping with MS--something I never thought I'd do. My brain won't let me write about anything else, so I stopped fighting it and gave in.

I've read all the celebrity MS memoirs just to see what others have written, and I find that I have a fresh perspective and approach that will add something new to that growing body of literature. I was worried about my lack of celebrity at first; why would people want to read my book? Once I had the answer, I went ahead with more confidence.

And no, the writing is not cathartic for me disease-wise. I approach it like I do any other project. It's terribly hard work, and I am able to distance myself from the personal nature of it and remain an objective craftsman. Like all my literary writing, it is about much more than what it is about.

Kim

lovesweinerdogs responded:
Hi Elizabeth and all. Reading has alway been my ticket to the world! I don't have the money to go in person but I can go vicariously, through the characters and, often, through the experiences of the writers. Explaining it that way was how I got my sons to read more in school, thus improving their overall learning level.

My favorites? Dean Koontz (he absolutely loves animals and dogs especially), and that doctor that started writing medical thrillers. Jeff Long has written some really imaginative stuff, and, oh well, the list is pretty long.

The only problem I have now is eye problems-I'm starting to need large print and something to hold the book open, as my hand starts spazzing after just a few minutes.

Kim, what else do you write besides your memoir?

Dawn

hackwriter replied to lovesweinerdogs's response:
Dawn,

I've had some scholarly essays published in reference books, and I've written short fiction and performed some personal commentaries on a local NPR station.

I also have a blog at www.multiplesclerosiswrite.blogspot.com .

Kim

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to hackwriter's response:
It's interesting how life experiences changes our focus and influences so many of our actions or reactions.

Through your writings, your experience/life with this disease lends support, advice and comfort to so many others.

Just checked out your blog - add humor to the above sentence!

Elizabeth

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to lovesweinerdogs's response:
Hi Dawn,

Is the MD Robin Cook? I read some of his early novels, but can't remember the names now. I think one was Coma??

I have not played with the Nook or Kindle much, but think you can adjust print/screen size and can lay it down or prop it up.

Anyone have one?

Elizabeth

hackwriter replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
I have a Kindle and yes, you can make adjustments to the print size, it's really quite disabled-friendly.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Fatigue
Has anyone ever included bee pollen with their diet? I also take niacin. Bee pollen seems to have help me with the fatigue factor along ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.