Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tysabri alert--please read
hackwriter posted:
After starting Tysabri a year ago, I have developed worsened GERD, an enlarged thyroid and nodule plus symptoms of early-stage Hashimoto's, possible early-stage appendicitis, and biliary colic (gallbladder disease).

Biogen Idec has told my neuro that 1% of Tysabri patients have developed biliary colic as a result of taking the drug. My neuro told me that the only way to determine whether Tysabri is causing my gallbladder attacks is to forego surgery and continue with the infusions to see if I have more attacks. I have my doubts about that; once you start having gallbladder attacks, you tend to keep having them with or without Tysabri.

Those of you who are taking Tysabri might want to consider this and follow up with your neuro. I have decided to have a cholecystectomy (and possibly an appendectomy just to be on the safe side) and stop taking Tysabri.

Kim

Csewhappy responded:
Hi Kim,
Sorry to hear all that ... you have obviously had a rather painful time recently. Nasty.

What are you going to take as your DMD of choice now? Is it going to be one of the new oral ones or back to the jabs?

I hope that the rest of your life outside of MS & its horrible extras is going along well and that married life remains bliss :-).

Thinking of you and hoping you soon feel much better. I hope the surgery can be avoided.

Best wishes,
Carol

hackwriter replied to Csewhappy's response:
Hi, Carol,

I'm looking at Gilenya. My neuro wants me to consider Novantrone, but I can't get excited about another immunosuppressant. I think my remaining organs would rise up in protest and then, in typical American fashion, send a lobbyist to Washington and launch a media blitz to destroy my reputation.

And then there are the book deals....

Csewhappy replied to hackwriter's response:
:-) I do like your sense of humo(u)r. It always makes me smile.

i would love to see you in print ... can't wait for those book deals!

Good luck with making your decision, there do seem to be an impressive amount of people happy with Gilenya; so lets hope it's kind to you too (and keeps those protesting organs in check ... away from Washington and the cameras).

Incidentally, I have a Kindle too and I love it :-)

lovesweinerdogs responded:
Hi Hackwriter! I am currently not taking any DMD, but I too developed gallbladder disease and stones, on top of all the other symptoms. Finally I had to do something-the pain in my side became unbearable.

The surgery went well and I have been healing. However, I learned something after-the-fact: when the gallbladder is removed, there is nothing to slow down the bile coming from the liver. So sometimes, diahhrea results.

I do not regret having the surgery-just was surprised at this developement. Anyway, good luck with your surgery and I will be praying for you!

Dawn

hackwriter replied to lovesweinerdogs's response:
Thanks, Dawn. Did you reduce your fat intake after surgery, or have you returned to a normal diet? Just curious what your doctor recommended.

I did my homework on the after-effects of surgery, and have read that about 10% of post-cholecystectomy patients develop diahrrea and/or continued side pain.

Hoping for the best outcome and girding my loins for the possibilities.

Kim

LadeeEmpress responded:
I had my gallbladder removed in Nov '04. I did have to reduce my fat intake immediately after surgery otherwise I suffer with the diaherria. It has gotten increasingly better over the years although I do have attacks sometimes but very rarely of urgent diaherria. I say move forward with the surgery.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

certified nursing assistant (CNA)
I am a care giver who have had vast experience with MS patient and i do travel with my client/s. If some one out there who is looking for a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.