Skip to content
MS & shoes
ruarockr2 posted:
H Guys

I'm new as you will probably figure out soon but just found this website and would like to ask a couple quetions. First of all, I am currently contemplating beginning to take Tysabri. I read some of your comments but need more pros/cons. Please help.....

Second of all, I have never seen this addressed. BUT I need help finding the correct type of shoes for outside, inside, and dressy. My feet burn a lot so at home I wear no shoes. I am on disability so cannot go out and buy several pairs so can any of you please helpo me out here. Thanks so much and I hope to hear from several of you.

hackwriter responded:
If you read the Tysabri literature, you'll find that the risk of developing PML, a fatal brain infection, increases the longer you are on the drug. You should consider being tested for JCV antibodies, a virus that can trigger PML. Tysabri is an immunosuppressant and therefore raises your risk of developing a whole lot of infections. I've had a few and had to go on more medication to keep those under control. Besides that, there is a risk of developing biliary colic, which I have just recently learned.

I've taken it for a year and decided to stop. Within a year I developed new lesions, weaker limbs, and a plethora of health conditions including gallbladder disease. Other people have done well on it, however, and there is no way to know how it will affect you. If you forego the injectable therapies, some of your other options are also immunosuppressants: Tysabri, Gilenya, Novantrone.

As for shoes, I too have burning feet, and my solution to the problem has been: sandals during warm months and Ugg boots (the cheap version, and wear them without socks--very important) in cooler weather. They are the only shoes I can wear now.

Hope this helps.

Kim

ruarockr2 replied to hackwriter's response:
One day I decide to do Tysabri and the next day I definitely will not. There's just so much to check out and think about but my cognative abilities just aren't what they used to be. I cannot discuss with my family and cannot discuss with my doctor at $400 a visit and 75 miles away.

I'm late getting back to you because I couldn't remember how to get back here so I'm sorry.

I finally found some sandals to just slide my feet into and they are cloth on top and on the sole. Leather was too hard and synthetic made the burning worse. Also getting a size larger has helped. I never thought about Ugg boots but that will be perfect. thanks so very much Kim and I truly wish the best for your as you have been so very helpful to me.

ruarockr2

whitefrazier replied to hackwriter's response:
I am on Tysabri now. So far so good. But, I only have had 4 infusions so far. I also need to find some shoes due to the fact i am now wearing a brace that fits inside my shoes (tennis shoes). No sandals. too tight. I still have too look good. LOL.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
106 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.