Skip to content
Contrasted M.R.I.
lepman posted:
Now I have to say that the M.R.I. process doesn't pose much of a health concern... but yesterday I had my first one with contrast. At a V.A. hospital, two hours away from me.Good thing I have a Hospital near by because when I woke up this morning, I had a golf ball size lump in my arm and hurt like(hell) pardon my french. My hand and fingers are numb and cold like ice.

I called the emergency room at the V.A. hospital,and was told that a nurse would call me back. I called my local hospital's emergency room and was told to come in immediately. They performed an ultra sound on my arm and found a blood clot that goes from my wrist at the injection site, to my elbow.

what a wonderful gift. and something new to worrie about on top of my other symptoms that are going on with me. now I get to worrie about the possibility of the clot going into my lungs, heart or brain. I was told that blood thinners is the treatment for this and was given some shots for this as well as some meds to thin my blood and now i have to take them for six months.

After three hours in the emergency room I returned home and was finally called back from the V.A. hospital and was told to drive down to them. Oops too late, I already went to my local hospital ER. I told them.
that's a shame I was told.The V.A. may not pay for that Visit. I asked why not? and said I didn't cause this.

I never knew that a simple M.R.I. could be so dangerous.....

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Lepman,

Crud! What a horrible experience!

How are you doing now? Any other feedback or follow-up from the VA?

Elizabeth

lepman replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
I saw my primary care doctor and she is keeping track of the blood levels because of the blood thinners I have to be on but nothing else is being done.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 63 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.