Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Best climates for MS
myscreennamehere posted:

My husband has RRMS, and we currently reside in Phoenix. During the summer months, he suffers increased symptoms and fatigue.

I was just offered a position in Oregon and really want the job, but don't want to put him into a position to suffer more.

While it doesn't get as hot in Oregon as it does here, it IS quite a bit more humid.

Does anyone have any insight on which climate is better? I realize MS is a complex disease that doesn't manifest the same in everyone.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? I thought about spending a week up there to see how he does.. but a week in June isn't really representative of a lifetime, or an annual climate.

Thanks for any input.

mmthlvr responded:
I have been to Oregon & as soon as my son graduates we're moving there. I love it, I hate the sun & the heat and I felt great while I was there. I also have RRMS and I hear the MS clinic in Portland is great.

We want to move to Lincoln City or anywhere on the central coast. Inland can get hot and I'm not happy once it hits 75:(.
Where are you looking to move to? What meds are your husband taking.
Hugs,
Tammy

lovesweinerdogs responded:
Years ago, I worked at Ruidoso Downs in New Mexico. If I could find a full-time permanent job there, I would move in a heartbeat! The altitude is not exessive, the weather in general was, while I was there, pretty mild and the humidity stayed fairly low (there were frequent thunderstorms, but as soon as they blew over, is was pleasant again) I've heard they get some snow but I can handle that a lot better than I can handle heat.

Much love,

Dawn

Nancy04232004 responded:
I too suffer from heat related fatigue. It is called heat sensitivity. Here is what I suggest to all of us, no matter what climate we live in.

Get cooling vests. These are vests that have pockets which hold ice packets. They are kind of expensive, but they are worth every penny. They allow you to be in hot climates like the desert areas and places with high heat humidity. I have one and am glad I have it. To find them, Google "cooling vests" and you will find different companies who sell them in a variety of models.

Here's to the heat and MS!!!!

mmthlvr replied to Nancy04232004's response:
Ditto, cooling vests are the best. There are several types to choose from but the ones with the ice packs are best. I even got a extra set of ice packs so I can change them out as needed.
Hugs
Tammy

angel67124 replied to mmthlvr's response:
Where can you get the cooling vest I am very heat sensitive and would love to get one. I am missing out on so much I love camping and fishing and just the great outdoors but I haven't done this in years the side effects just isn't worth it. Can yu help me please

mmthlvr replied to angel67124's response:
I got mine through polar products inc. Just type that name in & it will bring up their web site. I got the one that zips up with the ice packs. I recommend getting an extra set of ice packs just in case you are going to be out all day.

You are going to be so happy, it's the greatest thing ever. Let me know if you get one & how you like it.
Hugs,
Tammy

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.