Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
MS and tetnus
Cindyjayne posted:
I don't know what to think of this. Two weeks ago I had tubes put into my ears. I'm 40 years old. When I was coming out of the anestesia I had 3 seizures. Because of these I was admitted to the hospital overnigh for observation. I was given a series of tests including an MRI and a Cat Scan. The neurologist said that MS could not be ruled out. BUT! I was hospitalized with Tetnus (I know, very unusual) when I was 29. I stayed in the hospital for 3 months but came out relatively unscathed. Except for some nerve damage in my arms which didn't show up until I became pregnant. So, this is my question and concern. I have always assumed that this nerve damage which presents itself in my arms mostly...left arm in particular, occurs because of the tetnus. But now, after this recent stint in the hospital, I am wondering if I might have MS. I looked at the list of symptoms and I seem to have quite a few of them. How do I determine if I really do have MS? I have two young childre and this, quite honestly, scares me. Please respond. Thank you.

PAUL50726 responded:
Hi Cindyjayne. You'll need to see a neurologists and have tests done to see whether or not you have MS. As for me, my MS was determined by an MRI. I don't think your tetnus has anything to do with it, but I could be wrong. The neurologist could answer your questions better than I could.

KarenGalley responded:
The neurologist who said MS cannot be ruled out needs to do much more testing.
An MRI is usually the best way but I'd also ask for a lumbar puncture....they don't hurt.
One thing I'd stress to anybody, even those who are already diagnosed with MS is to be checked for A.P.S. otherwise known in the UK as 'Hughes Syndrome' or Antiphospholipid Syndrome. This can mimic MS even down to an MRI scan and I should know as I have both illnesses.
Google Hughes syndrome and see if you have any f the symptoms and even if you don't, demand the blood tests.
Wishing you good health and lots of luck

KathyBees responded:
I had numbness and tingling on my right side in May 2010. I went to the hospital for an MRI and the doctor found 2 masses in my brain. After many tests, including 2 spinal taps the neurologist believes I have MS, however, the spinal taps came out negative for MS. I also have 2 large lesions, called Tumefactive lesions. I don't think I have MS. I went to a doctor who is an MD and Natural Health/Holistic medicine who did a blood test and found Lymes disease. I opted out of the harsh shots my Neurologist wanted me to take and I am taking a natural approach, I am doing IV therapy through my natural health doctor for Lymes, which is mimicking MS. I think you need to see a few doctors and get a 2 opinions on your situation. Good luck to you.

PamelaMichelle responded:
I agree that you need to go see a neurologist and request an MRI of your brain and a region of your spine. You may also need a lumbar puncture. I also had to have a Visual Evoke Potential Test. After my first MRI of my brain, They found over thirty lesions and then several on my spinal cord. My lumbar puncture revealed that I have had MS for years. The doctor said probably since high school! I'm forty-years old! I couldn't get any doctor to listen to me. My chiropractor was actually the one who put everything together and got me into a doctor who finally listened to me. I owe my life to him. Get your primary to get you into a neurologist ASAP.

Msdiane75 replied to PamelaMichelle's response:
Please get help fast

Msdiane75 replied to PamelaMichelle's response:
I had the same problem, going to doctor after doctor. No one would listen to me. My primary doctor wanted me to go to a mental health to get checkout.

Finally, after 5 years I found a neurologist, had a lumbar punter it came back negative, MRI . I have 4 lesion on my brain!

My symptoms where vertigo, numbness, burning around my waist@ back problems!

I beg you, please keep going , don't give up

backingeorgia responded:
You must be seen by a neurologist specializing in MS if at all possible. Contact the MS Society for possible referrals, or the state Medical Society where you live for referrals. A spinal tap is in order, although if the MRI is borderline the tap may be normal This doesn't rule out MS.

As an aside, the trauma of having the ear tubes inserted and subsequent seizures may trigger an onset of MS. Medical opinion is divided on this. In 1998 I had a closed head injury which ended my career as an attorney and in 2000 was diagnosed with MS. Whether a severe shock or insult to the body can bring on incipient MS is disputed, but a growing number of doctors and researchers believe that it d

Friendinme responded:
So sorry you are going through this, but you do need to go to a neurologist. I have recently been diagnosed with MS (as recent as 1 month ago). I will be 39 in July. Starting last year I had exactly 3 episodes where my left side (arm and leg) went numb. This year in April I had about 4 episodes in one week, 2 in the same day. Also this year I began getting the tingling sensations in both my legs and that is constant (daily). I had an MRI which found I have inflamation in my brain and spine. I also had a lumbar puncture. I had a series of other test including EEG, ultrasound, blood test, nerve conductor, etc... I am now going to the Dr. to choose which treatment I want to take. This is very scary. I have 2 children as well and am very scared of the unknown. Please go to a neurologist and preferably one who specializes in MS like another person posted. You need to know now versus later. Best of luck to you.

Friendinme replied to PamelaMichelle's response:
Question: just from your lumbar puncture they were able to determine how long you had MS? I would like to know that info as well. I will ask my doctor this when I go. No one told me when I had mine done. I will be 39 in July and am curious how long I have had this. Best of luck to you.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Fatigue
Has anyone ever included bee pollen with their diet? I also take niacin. Bee pollen seems to have help me with the fatigue factor along ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.