Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Need help staying on Rebif with low white blood count
Debb103 posted:
Has any one had to go off Rebif due to low white blood cell count? My Dr. has told me to stop the Rebif due to the test coming back that my white blood count is low. Rebif has been good to me. I no longer have the flu like feelings nor the Foggy brain. I have been unemployed for a year and a half and just started a new job three weeks ago. I hate to think what going on a new med will do to me physically and mentally. Any suggestions on how I would be able to stay on Rebif if I could get my count back up by staying off Rebif for a time? Was on Copaxone for a year could no longer afford the $600 co-pay. Plus I always had that foggy brain with the Copaxone,

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
Sometimes Rebif can reduce the weight blood cell count. It is worthwhile being off this medication for a month and then restarting the medication to see if the white blood cell count goes down again. Sometimes you can have a reduction of white blood cell count unrelated to the Rebif.

However if you retry Rebif and the white blood cell count remains low, you will need another medication.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
106 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.