Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Vietnam
Anon_5046 posted:
Good afternoon all,

My father served in Vietanam. He was exposed to agent orange. He asked me to post this on the board to see what you all think. I was diagnosed with MS two years ago. My parents tell me that I went through several illnesses when I was 1 year old.

Is it possible for the MS to remain dormant for 25 years?

I believe my father believes he is responsible for my illness.

hackwriter responded:
Anon,

You have to have the gene marker for MS to develop it. Most of us have our first attacks between age 20 and 50.

The prevailing theory is that viruses may activate the disease, causing our immune systems to attack our myelin.

I doubt that your father's exposure to agent orange had anything to do with activating your MS--and it certainly wouldn't have caused it, since we are born with the gene markers.

You didn't mention whether your childhood illnesses resulted in some temporary disabilities. That would be something common in a patient's history. I had several viral illnesses in childhood and developed a temporary limp, tripping over my feet, and an abnormal gait in one foot right after I recovered. The effects were mild enough that I never questioned them, and neither did my parents.

So, yes, MS can remain inactive for 25 years, and no, your dad's exposure to agent orange likely didn't give you MS.

If you are still concerned about the agent orange angle, you should consult your neurologist.

Hope this helps.

Kim

mmthlvr replied to hackwriter's response:
They figured my 1st attack was when I was 17. I hand no more episodes unitll I was 33, except for the fact I could no longer run without tripping. I started having attacks about 1-2 times and at 44 I was dx.

You said you had several childhood illnesses, did you ever have Mono?
Hugs
Tammy

hackwriter replied to mmthlvr's response:
Tammy,

I never had mono. I had pneumonia at age 12 after which I started tripping, and scarlet fever at age 20, after which people started asking me why I was limping (I wasn't aware that I was!). So only two illnesses as a youth.

An upper respiratory virus at age 41 brought on my first documented, official flare, which landed me in the hospital.

Did you have mono as a youth?

Kim

mmthlvr replied to hackwriter's response:
Hi Kim,

Yes, I had mono twice, chicken pox 3x's. The Dr's said this was possible because it was always very localized, face then stomach, then legs. They said till I have a full blown case it could still reoccur. I've always been weird:)

I use to always get strp throat, like every couple of months untill my mom(worry wart) let them take them out.
Hugs,
Tammy

SBax06 responded:
I am actually allergic to chickhen pox, to where my throat swelled and i was in a coma for 2 days when i was 3... i got chickhen pox 4 more times, and cant get vacinated. but other than that im rarely sick.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Repair the Myelin Sheath?
I'm no Dr. but this is what I did: The Myelin Sheath is made from 3 fatty acids- Omega 3 & 6 & DHA. There is aproduct called ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.