Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Endometriosis and MS
Anon_228498 posted:
Hi. My sister has stage 4 endometriosis and MS. As of this point, she is faced with the options of 1) a hysterectomy or 2) taking birth control to slow down the endometriosis. The endometriosis seems to be spreading at a faster rate than anticipated, so I don't know how effective option 2 will be. Also to keep in mind with option 2, she will face an increased risk of blood clots. With a hysterectomy, she will be premenopausal which may worsen her MS. She has received a couple of opinions, none of which seem to overlap. If anyone can please help, give me any insight, or point me in a direction where I can educate myself more about the situation, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

mmthlvr responded:
Before I was dx with MS I had severe endometriosis. I lost 1 ovary at 23 & said I would probably never have kids. I was blessed with a son at 29. After that the pain got so bad at 30 I had a complete hysterectomy, they took it all.

I was kept very drugged for 3 days & shortly there after I started taking estrogen. I really had no problems with ppremenopausal symptoms. I am now down to .5mg to keep the hot flashes away beacuse that does bother my MS.

It was the best thing I ever did & your sister just needs to decide what's best for her. Please keep in touch & let me know what she decides.
Hugs,
Tammy

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D
I've had MS since 2001 and had flare ups usually twice a year. Although I have mild MS with tingling and with flare up moderate pain I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.