Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How much do I have to share with co-workers?
sm5840 posted:
I was dx w/MS in Feb 2011. I haven't been able to start on any medication as of yet because of wanting to start an oral drug and the extra tests that need to be performed to make sure I can take it successfully. I had a "flare-up" June 2011. Stress, extreme temperatures, etc. tend to exacerbate my being tired all the time.

With this "flare-up", I didn't feel capable of putting in 8hrs at my job. The problem is; I don't look sick. Just tired. My co-workers question why I am missing work. With FMLA, missing work is covered; just doesn't pay well. So, I have chosen to stay off work until I am 100%. This pays me short term disablility. I feel quilty but in addition to this, I live in a very small town and everyone knows everyone's business. They see me out and about but they do not know about the fatigue, unbalanced feeling and problems walking. Do I have to justify my actions?

davidmuresan responded:
Your fatigue is due to a nerve's suffering. That can be due to direct efect of cool temperature upon your nerves or by plugging your vessels bringing supply to your nerves in the brain. You say that you have fever and that is exactly a proof of what I said. You have to allow your fever to heal your problem. That is possible if you take warm cloths which will increase your fever at a proper level for healing. Alow your body in that persperation state and go to bed and when you'll wake up you may feel better. After that keep you body well protected with warm cloths to prevent the nerves suffering to return.

mmthlvr responded:
This is a tough decission, I also live in a small town. My job puts me in contact with just about everyone. I decided to be open with my employer of 12yrs why I was missing so much work. Also, if one of my customers asked why I was waking funny or what kind of vest I was wearing(cooling) I told them and why.

Now I don't think it was the best idea. The office manager came to me with some phone numbers they got from there lawyer regarding who to contact if I needed any help with disability, Right, they just wanted to know what rights they have.

They also took me out of a position I loved & was very good at, even with MS. I work with a guy who makes more mistakes then everyone else put together, has had complaints from everyone including the customers but no one cares.

I confronted the office manager telling him I wanted my old job back but he said we noticed I made a few mistakes, forgot 1 minor thing & suddenly I'm not capable. If I made these mistakes and not had MS it would be no big deal. I also deal with she doesn't look sick "look". The only thing that's letting MS interfere with my life is everyone else.

You don't have to justify anything to anyone. I do however have a few friends with MS that I get together with & we all get to gripe about our week. It doesn't sound like it but I will always choose to be open about my MS hoping the more people who know the more educated people will become about this disease. I wish you luck and do what makes you feel comfortable.
Hugs,
Tammy

sm5840 replied to mmthlvr's response:
Thank you, Tammy!
With working in a factory; the heat can be really bad! Sometimes I feel like a "dog chasing it's tail"...This is a completely strange feeling. I used to work 10hrs a day and 6-7 days a week. Co-workers know this and tend to "watch" me as I walk thru the plant. Those on my shift know that I have been newly diagnosed with MS, but day shift employees have no idea what is wrong. I guess when I go back to work...we shall see how it goes! Hopefully soon...
Thanks, again!
Sue

sm5840 replied to davidmuresan's response:
Yes, the heat is a lose;lose situation. I work in a factory. Temps have been running above 90.
The doctor put me on Prednisone (sp) because of the flare-up. Then I was told that it would cause "heat flashes". We shall see what happens as I get weaned off the meds.
Thank you for responding,
Sue

alwayswrong responded:
Yu dont have to share anything, Only if you decide to.
Me- old MS'er, No good comes out of telling co workers in my cut throat enviornment.
MY work place is no Longer a Place for Friends when sine I have MS.

mmthlvr replied to alwayswrong's response:
It's so sad but true. My former boss is the only person I can trust. He has tried to get me back but it will never happen:( Sorry to all of us that have to deal with this.
Hugs,
Tammy

sm5840 replied to alwayswrong's response:
That is realy rough when you can't share with co-workers. MS is hard enough to deal with because of the changes in your own personal issues let alone; the relationship with co-workers.
Now I know why there are support groups for people with these issues...

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
105 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.