Skip to content
"It's Not All in Your Head" - A book by Dr. Patricia Farrell
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
Dr. Patricia Farrell has been a caring, compassionate expert offering sound advice with our Anxiety & Panic Community for many years.

She says "Providing self-help information to people with either psychological difficulties or medical illnesses has always been the reason I write.

This book came about as the result of my being asked to write one specifically for persons with MS who, because of the seeming psychological problems of the illness, were blaming themselves.

Writing it and interviewing both persons with MS and professionals working in the field was extremely rewarding and each person opened a new understanding for me and affirmed the fact that, indeed, this book needed to be written."

It's Not All In Your Head - Dr. Farrell's MS book, symptoms and need to know

Elizabeth

Kawwie responded:
I wasn't dianosed for 30 years - because it was "all in my head" or I was a hypocondriac.
Are GPs taught to use those asinine statements when they don't know what is wrong? I have met a lot of people with different illnesses ( MS, Fibro, Lupus, etc.) who have been given the same diagnoses.

There must be a great many 'crazy' people out there!

lepman replied to Kawwie's response:
Yes, I believe not only are GP's tuaght that but also most doctors as well. I have a good friend that is a farmasist and she says you woulnd't believe all the people that get anti-depressants prescribed to them. she says it's like every one of them get perscribed it even though they most likely don't need it. It's been my experience as well when the Doc's can't figure it out the first thing that comes from thier mouth is your depressed or the depression you are haveing must be causing all this to happen.I had one say that you need these because your quality of life will get better, How would that work? I would still have the problems but feel better haveing them now that I'm medicated ...Ok , but when are ya going to address the real problems at hand doc?

LadeeEmpress responded:
I just downloaded this book on my NOOK. I am really enjoying it so far and would recommend it to anyone dealing with MS

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to LadeeEmpress's response:
Thanks LadeeEmpress, lepman and Kawwie!

I will be sure to pass along your comments and to Dr. Farrell.

Elizabeth

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D
I've had MS since 2001 and had flare ups usually twice a year. Although I have mild MS with tingling and with flare up moderate pain I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.