Skip to content
surviving the heatwave
rikilynn1982 posted:
It's been a very long time since I've been on here, I see lots of new names. Hope you're all doing well. I'm sitting here in Oklahoma just trying to survive this heatwave. Things aren't looking so good for today. First off, I haven't slept all night because it's so hot and it seems the air conditioner is having trouble, as the air coming from the vents isn't really any cooler than the existing house temperature. The heat sure is making my symptoms worse.

We are somewhere around 32 out of the last 38 days of 100+ temperatures. Today is supposed to be even hotter than the 113 degrees of yesterday unless a cold front sitting to our north makes it down here, then it will only be about 109. This really makes me long for the -15 degrees and 2 feet of snow we had in February. I know I'm miserable, but my poor dogs are just miserable. Not sure what else to do for them. This is the first time I've ever had to wear my cooling vest inside the house.

Anyway, how is everyone else dealing with the heat?

hackwriter responded:
Rikilynn,

Nice to see you back here again!

Heat and humidity give me "punkin head." I half expect to look in the mirror and see a large orange scary face staring back at me :) My head throbs, the temples and face hurt, the brain feels cleft down the middle. A shower and an hour in front of a room air-conditioner bring temporary relief.

Our air conditioners seem not to be able to keep up either. When I leave my bedroom every morning and step into the hallway, my glasses fog up. This is a first.

I sleep with a window air-conditioner and an oscillating fan aimed right at my head. That usually does the trick--but this summer I have had plenty of sleepless nights where the cooled air doesn't seem to reach my head until the wee hours. Seems the humidity this summer is the most extreme we have ever had!

I don't use a cooling vest. My biggest problem is above the neck. As long as I can breathe in cool, dry, well-circulated air, the heat factor is much more tolerable. Maybe I should invest in a dehumidifier?

Kim

rikilynn1982 replied to hackwriter's response:
Ha! "punkin head" I've never had a name for it, but I certainly know the feeling. You're right about the humidity, it is making it 100 times worse. My heat issues are a whole body kind of thing. when I get too hot I feel like I'm going to be sick and pass out. I'll even wake up from a deep sleep because I feel like I'm going to pass out when I get too hot.

Our poor a/c unit just isn't working. My comfort zone is about 73.5 degrees and it's 85 in the house. I think we're going to have to call an A/C guy to come check it out.

Hope you don't find the "Great Pumpkin" staring back at you.

Riki

Jack31969 responded:
Hey you all,

Down here in Texas, it seems like the temperature has been in the 100 the past month. I am fortunate to have central air.

On the way the work the heat in the truck is unbearable. I believe we can roast a chicken in the damn truck. The key for me not to get sick is a cool air conditioned room, a fan and ice cold water.

When the heat gets to me, it only for a short time. I will normally feel better the following day. You all take care and have a great day.

HOOK EM HORN

Muzzkat replied to Jack31969's response:
I just order a ClimaMax Heatshield II cooling vest. It had good reviews online. I've all but wasted my last one. It was a cheaper one from PolarTec.

Working outside in this (115 heat index), I've decided that this might have to be my last summer out. I've tried toughing it out, but have finally had to take time off. I believe I've gone above & beyond! Each summer it seems worse. I honestly don't know how anyone is expected to work 10-12 hrs outside with jeans, work boots, tool belt, hard hat & a orange safety vest on? Even without a disease!

Don't get me started on the "punkin' head"!
They say: MS, you don't get it unless you got it. Well...I still don't get it! ;^)

Muzzkat replied to hackwriter's response:
Hey Kim,

I thought that we already cured MS by raising our body temps? Not by trying to cool down silly!

;^)>
They say: MS, you don't get it unless you got it. Well...I still don't get it! ;^)

mmthlvr replied to Muzzkat's response:
Hi Muzzkat,

I can't believe you work out in that heat, even with a cooling vest. You surely should be cured by now.

hackwriter replied to Muzzkat's response:
Muzz, you forgot one important thing as you are working out in 115 degree heat: wrapping yourself in cotton and plastic! (Sound of hand hitting side of head).

I can see it now; On your way to the hospital, the siren drowns out your last words spoken to the EMT: "I'm dying? Oh well, at least my MS is cured!"

Kim

Muzzkat replied to hackwriter's response:
Kim,

I was thinking of just wearing a neoprene dive suit. I guess you have a point...Dying of heat stroke WOULD actually cure MS!

(Sound of hand slapping head, then making an "L" on my forehead)

hackwriter replied to Muzzkat's response:
Muzz, LOL

Muzzkat replied to Muzzkat's response:
Not "ClimaMax", it's "ClimaTech"!

readyfordx replied to Muzzkat's response:
Y'all are so funny...I needed to hear some humor about all of this.... especially the sound of the hand slapping the side of the head...LOL

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 63 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.