Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Lnmbar Puncture
lepman posted:
I have some questions about this proceedure , One , I am on blood thinners and want to know can I even have one now that I am on blood thinners, I.E. ( Warrfran & Lovenox ) Two, Can My Primary Doc. order the LP, or dose it have to be ordered by a Neuro ? Three, My primary took me off my High blood pressure med to see if my joint pain and numbness, burnning and tingleing and pins and needels sensations and muscle cramping are being caused by it. Is that normal , because it never caused this before? I mean I never had troubles while takeing it before...

lepman responded:
Oh yeah I fore got to tell ya what they gave me for the cramping and joint pain , its called Cyclobenzaprine HCL 10 MG. I looked it up and I found that its used for fibromyalgia Patients and is used for the muscle cramping but it's not doing too well. I at least get some sleep now.

hackwriter responded:
Lepman,

These are excellent questions to ask your doctor. Whoever orders your LP--or any test--will need to know all medications you are taking. I bring a list of mine to every doctor appt.

Kim

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
We usually ask patients to stop their blood thinners before performing a lumbar puncture because of the risk of bleeding. You should discuss the fact that you are taking these medications with your physician.

Most physicians don't do their own lumbar punctures. Neurologist frequently do their own lumbar punctures however.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Tip for hives
My daughter suffers with hives, they have never found out what causes her hives either. We thought since I was recently diagnosed that ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.