Skip to content
Switching to Rebif...
LadeeEmpress posted:
Hello all:

I hope everyone is doing well or at least surviving through this hot hot summer here in the Northeast US!

I had a relapse in January and recently had another one in July. My MRI in January showed a couple new lesions. My neuro has decided that she is not impressed with my progress on Copaxone so I am going on Rebif.

I have to admit that I am a bit excited about being injection free until my Rebif prescription is filled...

Any suggestions with switching to this new treatment???

PAUL50726 responded:
Hi LadeeEmpress. I was on Rebif from July 2007 to March 2011. Doing the injections didn't bother me. However, the next day after the injection, I would feel weak and run down. Taking Aleve before the injection helped. The Rebif worked for a while since during that time there were no new legions. After my last MRI when the doctor discovered some new legions, I was taken off that medication and placed on Tysabri. I hope the Rebif works for you, but if it doesn't there are other choices.

LHanan responded:
I was on Copaxone for 6 years. During that time I went from walking normally to being confined to a wheelchair. Lost my employment. But I had no adverse side effects to the drug.

Finally my doctor put me on Rebif. Even though I medicated 2 hours before the injection and 2 hours after, I always had high fevers, shakes, paralysis, loss of bowel and bladder control, severe muscle cramps, nausea, etc. So my doctor put me on a half dose. The side effects were the same. After 9 months I stopped the Rebif and went on LDN, completely against my doctor's orders. Within 2 weeks I felt "normal" and regained bowel and bladder control. I am still in a wheelchair, but at least I am not sick all the time.

terryirishlady replied to LHanan's response:
LHanan, Sorry to hear about your side effects. I have been on Rebif over two years. No new legions but I get the mild fever and aches sometimes lasting through the next day.

Terry

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
106 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.