Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
MS and Depression, 2nd post
Nancy04232004 posted:
A question for Dr. Lava,

How can I find out if my depression is a result of the MS disease process itself causing nerve damage to the emotional control area of my brain, rather than just a reaction to having MS or being on one of the interferon drugs for MS?

Muzzkat responded:
Hi Nancy,

I have found a link for you. You can download a pdf file to your computer and read. It is: http://www.msassociation.org/publications/depression/

I have this booklet and have found it to explain a lot. Pages 12-15 deal with the different causes of depression in MS patients

I hope this helps,

Matt
They say: MS, you don't get it unless you got it. Well...I still don't get it! ;^)

Nancy04232004 replied to Muzzkat's response:
Matt,

Thank you for the tip you gave in your post. I printed out the pages you recommended and will review them shortly. Next time I see my doctor, I will mention this information.

Nancy

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
It is not always easy to tell what is the cause of the depression.
There is a higher incidence of depression in patients with MS. And as you have mentioned interferons are associated with depression.
The more important thing is to treat the depression. Since depression can respond to counseling or medication.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Wealth of vitamin D and MS information
There is a lot of information on vitamin D and MS at VitaminDWiki. Shortcut to the MS material is http://tinyurl.com/MSVitaminD . You ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.