Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Spirulina
maisy123 posted:
Has anyone taken Spirulina? I am finding conflicting information. On one hand, it sounds incredible and would really help. On the other hand, some say that it strengthens the immune system, which I know we certainly don't need at all. Some other sites say that no study really proved it did so. I'd like to hear from someone with MS about it and how it affected you or what did your doctor say?

hackwriter responded:
Maisy,

I took spirulina along with a bunch of other supplements recommended for MS such as L-carnitine, CoQ10, Omega-3 Fatty acids (in the form of some kind of fish oil), Blue/green algae, picolinate, B-Complex C, D3, and I've forgotten the rest (it was in 1999), and absolutely nothing happened to me--except that my bank account was overdrawn, all that stuff gets expensive!

No clinical studies I've read have supported these supplements as MS-fighting agents. Immune system boosters are definitely substances to be taken with caution.

None of my neurologists have condoned taking supplements except for D3 plus calcium since my D level was below normal, I take occasional steroid treatments (bone loss is a potential risk) and l'm at an age to worry about osteoporosis.

I tried spirulina, et al., I felt no difference, I stopped taking them. I don't think it would harm you to take supplements, I just don't believe it would help.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.