Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Weakness in arms and legs?
freckles1963 posted:
Hi there I have had MS for four years...my arms and legs are SO weak and I am not sure if this is MS or not? My neuro dr is having me do Physical Therapy I have only gone 1 time. She is having me do exercises at home but so far I am still really weak,Anyone else have these symptoms?

mrs_nikki responded:
I've had MS for almost 6 yrs and I experienced the same symptoms as you in the beginning and a little now. I completely lost feeling in my legs. I had to do physical therapy for a while. Its may take a while. I know it is hard, but to be honest, I did not do any of those exercises they wanted me to do, b/c it was so painful. I only did what they made me do while at physical therapy. I have a limp now, but I'm glad I can walk. Hang in there. It will get better.

hackwriter responded:
Freckles,

Limb weakness is definitely from your MS. I had PT in February and started with aquatherapy. That is the ideal form of exercise for us, it's much easier to move in the water where we don't have to fight gravity. If you have access to such a facility, that's what I would recommend.

As far as maintaining exercise, it's dicey. We're all different as far as what we can tolerate. I can't really do much conventional exercise without it worsening my spasticity and pain. Muscle relaxers help, but the oral kind make me weaker than I was before. I'm switching to an intrathecal pump to avoid those side effects so I can stay active longer.

That said, staying active any way you can will keep your muscles working longer, the blood flowing better, and possibly keep you out of a wheelchair for another ten or twenty years. It is worth the effort.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Fatigue
Has anyone ever included bee pollen with their diet? I also take niacin. Bee pollen seems to have help me with the fatigue factor along ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.