Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Temperature??
TotallyDisgusted1 posted:
Can anyone explain why temperature causes problems, and in my case some times I'm fine with it and other times it is the worst thing ever.

Does this mean I,m in a flare-up when temperature bothers me?
What about being hungry, the longer I put off eatting the worse i feel
at times.

hackwriter responded:
Extreme temperatures can cause an already damaged nerve to conduct signals less effectively.

We usually think of high heat and humidity as the culprit; a fever or a very hot summer day can temporarily worsen our legs, rob us of strength, worsen our vision or make us slur our words. Moving into a cooler environment usually makes us feel better right away. Extreme cold can worsen spasticity, too. Why doesn't it happen every time? Who knows? These pseudo-flares are poorly understood. In fact, actual flares are a bit mystifying, too. Sometimes getting a common cold will trigger a flare--but not every cold will do that.

But these temp-related symptoms are temporary. Extreme temps do not induce a flare, which is an attack on our myelin by T-cells and which involves nerve inflammation. Though these two events may feel similar, the trigger is a bit different.

The best thing we can do is to note how hot and cold affect us and take steps to regulate our body temp and our environment.

About the hunger issue, you didn't mention exactly how you feel worse. Nausea? Two things come to mind: You aren't eating often enough (blood sugar) or you have hyperacidity or an ulcer (I guess that's three things, isn't it .

You might see your doctor and explain how you feel on an empty stomach so they can determine what to test you for.

Kim

TotallyDisgusted1 replied to hackwriter's response:
Thanks Kim. I'm very happy to have this site, finally some where to ask questions and get answers from people who are experiencing the same issues as I.

I want to give thanks to this site on this Thanksgiving!

Thank You

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
Heat or elevation of body temperature can bring out multiple sclerosis symptoms but does not cause damage to the nervous system. Myelin conducts electrical impulses most efficiently at normal body temperature. As one increases body temperature electrical impulses slow. Normal myelin can function at higher temperatures without having a problem. In patients with multiple sclerosis, areas that have been damaged by the immune system (plaques)will malfunction at any lower temperature than normal myelin. This is because these areas don't conduct electrical impulses as effectively as normal myelin. You will get failed electrical transmissions with mild elevation of heat. Once the temperature is lowered the electrical impulses will flow normally.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Fatigue
Has anyone ever included bee pollen with their diet? I also take niacin. Bee pollen seems to have help me with the fatigue factor along ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.