Skip to content
Got cortical?
hackwriter posted:

Have you ever been bewildered by the fact that your most recent MRIs show no new lesion or inflammatory activity that explains your worsened disabilities?

Me, too. I just found some data on cortical grey matter lesions.
Don't feel dumb that you haven't heard much about lesions in this part of the brain. My neuros haven't mentioned it, either.

Our 1.5T and 3T MRIs aren't strong enough to detect them. Until recently, they were only discovered during autopsies where dissected slices of cortex were eye-balled and the lesions easily spotted.

Since these unlucky subjects died during late-stage MS, researchers assumed that grey matter cortical lesions come along during the advanced portion of the progressive stage of MS.

Now, however, that thinking has changed. There are 7T, 8T, and 9.4T MRIs being used in research that can clearly show these cortical lesions in live patients--and they popping up in many RRMS patients rather early on in the disease process.

Time will tell, but it's looking like these lesions can be linked to physical disability and cognitive dysfunction in a way that white matter lesions alone cannot.

Below is a link to Medhelp expert Quixotic1 (she is a retired doctor with MS) who explains clearly the interconnectivity of grey matter and white matter, how they conduct signals, and what happens when myelin gets damaged.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Multiple-Sclerosis/White-vs-Grey-matter/show/785945?controller=posts&action=show&id=#<Subject:0x00000021e0f968>

(If this doesn't hyperlink, just copy and paste it into your browser.)

I hear your burning question: When will we have access to these super-sensitive MRI tools? Not for years, I'm guessing. We'll have to wait.

Not the least reason being, and I think I speak for all MS patients when I say this---that I'll pass on the autopsy.

Kim

lepman responded:
Kool to learn about the gray matter stuff....But will a lumbar puncture show that ms is still involved?

hackwriter replied to lepman's response:
lepman,

There will always be that ten percent or so of MS patients who have a negative LP. As we know, an LP alone isn't a definitive indicator of MS. The diagnosis comes from a process of elimination (where it can't be anything else), an array of different kinds of tests, and still most important, the clinical presentation.

A friend of mine who is participating in a study using a 7T MRI will soon send me the data concerning analysis of heavy metals in grey and white matter cortical lesions as a predictor/indicator of active disease in MS patients. I'll post it when it becomes available.

Kim

readyfordx replied to hackwriter's response:
Thanks for this info, Kim..it is very interesting..

Yes, please do keep us informed..

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D
I've had MS since 2001 and had flare ups usually twice a year. Although I have mild MS with tingling and with flare up moderate pain I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.