Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
stabbing pain in my wrists
vikinglady603 posted:
I was diagnosed with MS in August of 2011 and I have a question - does anyone else get stabbing horrible shooting pains in their wrists? The pain is enough to take my breath away, then they quickly subside. I dont get them every day, but I wondered if they are MS related?

54sunflower responded:
OMG!!!! I have it also but I never thought it was from MS, The pain in my wrist get to b unbearable, I have used biofreze constanly...

hackwriter responded:
Dear viking,

I get them, too, and yes, it is MS-related. Your damaged spinal nerves are misfiring.

Kim

animalsrock responded:
I have the SAME thing but instead of in my wrists I get them in my hands and also my legs anywhere from the above my knees, to in my shins and then in my ankles and toes. Mine are sharp shooting stabbling pains that hurt like you said - take my breath away. I used to get them once in a while but over the last couple of months I have been getting them throughout most of the day - every day.

lovesweinerdogs responded:
I have those also-I thought it was an old injury coming back to haunt me, but then I started getting them in the backs of my knees and Achilles tendons also. This is really aggravating since I depend on a cane to walk-if I can't put weight on my wrists and hands I'm in trouble.

Hackwriter, you've helped me a lot in the past. Is there anything you can do about this particular symptom? Thanks!

vikinglady603 replied to hackwriter's response:
thanks, this is good to know, did you have a spinal MRI?
My neuro hasnt ordered a spinal MRI yet, just brain scans and my last one showed a large lesion on my brain stem, was hoping that Copaxone would shrink it, dont have an appt until May and wonder if I should ask neuro to do a spinal MRI with the brain MRI?

vikinglady603 replied to 54sunflower's response:
thanks, it is horrible lately I am getting them more and more

vikinglady603 replied to lovesweinerdogs's response:
sorry you are in pain too, MS is so weird, just never know what tomorrow is going to be like.

vikinglady603 replied to animalsrock's response:
mine are increasing in frequency also, used to be once in a while now they are a couple or more every day.

An_241268 responded:
OMG!!! I have it too. Thank you so much for solving the problem. Now it all makes since. For the life of me I could not figure out what I had done to my wrists. Problem solved...thank you.

hackwriter responded:
If you haven't yet had a cervical MRI, you should get one, it is a routine part of the MS dx process. It might show lesions that explain your symptoms, but it might not, too.

The important thing is to treat the symptoms. I take Lyrica and have almost complete relief from neuropathic pain. Still have the odd burning or electrical shock pain from time to time, but mostly not, it makes a huge difference. I have a variety of different kinds of pain including pain from spasticity. For that I take baclofen and it is effective for me (but not for everybody).

There are other drugs you can try, too, such as Neurontin (gabapentin) for neuropathic pain. There are anti-spasticity drugs other than baclofen as well. Ask your doctor about these.

Kim

AMLYGE responded:
I thought maybe it was poor circulation from my desk job sitting 10 hrs a day then driving 1 hr to and from work but wehn I talked w/ my Nuero he said he felt it was definately MS related... I am coming up up on my 6 year Dx anniversary this May but we are sure I've had this longer... Thank God they are not unbarable or that frequent right now but if they every do get bad I will deal with them then

Best wishes,
AmLyGe

animalsrock replied to vikinglady603's response:
Mine are still happening almost every day. Just now in my finger. It can be fingers, wrists, knees, shins and really a lot inmy feet and ankles. Usually they only last seconds. But the ones in my ankles and feet will sometimes keep repeating at night while I am sitting. Ouch. I am sorry to hear yours are increasing. I do not know anything that will make them less painful. Have you talked to your Neuro? I see mine in June. As I am writing this I am getting one in the bottom of my foot right now. Yikes. Anyway if you find out anything let me know. My Neuro is not forthcoming with very much. I think my treatment is right but he doesn't seem to know a whole lot about MS symptoms. I take Copaxone which I think is a wonderful medicine. Hope your symptoms improve. I think for me it helps the most to talk to people who have MS. An advocate for Copaxone once told me MS is a very entertaining disease. She is a very cheerful up beat person and I have to say - it is never dull!! LOL

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Wealth of vitamin D and MS information
There is a lot of information on vitamin D and MS at VitaminDWiki. Shortcut to the MS material is http://tinyurl.com/MSVitaminD . You ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.