Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New medication
lovesweinerdogs posted:
After a particularly bad spell, my family doc put me on prednisone and wants me to try Cymbalta. My VA doctors still haven't given me a definate diagnosis so I'm falling back on him in the interim. What do you all think of Cymbalta? I haven't been on it long enough yet to notice a difference, but at this point I'm willing to try anything. I respect you'alls opinions.

Graceonline responded:
Hi there

I am not familiar with the reference VA doctors?

My understanding of cymbalta is limited to its use in the treatment of depression and anxiety and some times for neuropathic pain.

Working only on the assumption you are using it for the latter following no improvement on prednisone, unfortunately I have no further comment for you other than I have also come across people who have sometimes been prescribed this medication for pain associated with fibromyalgia. Though I am not suggesting by any means your doctor is thinking you may have this.

Sorry I can't be of any more assistance and all the best.

Regards

Grace

hackwriter responded:
Dear loves,

Cymbalta is a fairly common choice to treat neuropathic pain, and it doesn't work for everybody. Your other choices would be Lyrica and Neurontin (gabapentin). It's pretty much trial and error with these drugs, and it takes time to slowly increase the dosages to find out where the "sweet spot" is, that point where you feel the most relief, if any.

I hope Cymbalta works for you. All the above meds can have side effects, so if you cannot tolerate those effects, tell your doctor and you can try another med.

Kim

hackwriter replied to Graceonline's response:
Grace,

The reference "VA" stands for Veterans Administration. Our poster has done military service

Kim

Graceonline replied to hackwriter's response:
Thanks Kim re VA

Grace

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

certified nursing assistant (CNA)
I am a care giver who have had vast experience with MS patient and i do travel with my client/s. If some one out there who is looking for a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.