Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sun exposure
OMERR posted:
I had MS for the last 7 month, in many articles I read that (Fever, Hot bath, Sun exposure and stress) can trigger or worsen attacks, but some doc said that vitamin D is good for MS peoples, is this true or not because I have a problem with sun exposure.

hackwriter responded:
Dear OMERR,

Heat can trigger worsened symptoms, so if this is the case for you, you want to avoid heat.

Vitamin D is good for us and we can take D3 supplements to raise our low levels. Sun exposure also raises our D and it only requires 15 minutes a day of sun exposure to get a benefit. You don't have to fry in the sun for hours.

Kim

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi OMERR,

In addition to the great info hackwriter provided I wanted to pass along this link -

Low Vitamin D Levels May Be Linked to MS

Even though this study is based on African Americans, the researchers go on to say - more studies are needed in multiple ethnic groups to explore the relationship with Vit D and MS.

Elizabeth

lovesweinerdogs replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi! Another question from OMERR's question-what is the recommended D3 dosage for MS'ers?

AMLYGE responded:
I have found since being on Gilenya for the past year that the sun wasn't my problem it was the interferons/ steroids that made the heat worse now find comfort in hot shower - not luke warm and heat packs haven't attempted a hot tub again though

Best Wishes,
AmLyGe

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
105 of 107 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.