Skip to content
Monday Check-In - 02/06/2012
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
With so many new members stopping in and contributing, I thought we could all check-in and introduce ourselves.

Feel free to post what you did over the weekend, what you have planned for the week, or just, how you are feeling today.

I'll start -

My name is Elizabeth and I live in winterless (no that is not the name of the town) Florida. Highs in the 80's and pollen counts in the billions!

I am married and have a 7 year old daughter in first grade. I retired from a career in health care administration 7 years ago. When my girl started school I was fortunate enough to begin working with WebMD.

I am a Community Moderator and I am on the Social Media team (Like us on FB, Follow us on Twitter, Join our Circle on Google+).

I am fortunate enough to have a somewhat flexible schedule which allows me to be a stay-at-home mom, albeit a working one.

I do not have MS and could never attempt to offer advice to those of you suffering with it. I tend to sit back and provide any links, news, and research that I think this community could benefit from.

I will say I am honored to be a part of one of our most supportive and knowledgeable communities.

So, did your team win last night? What did you think of Madonna's half-time show? 53 years old, I'm impressed!

Who's next?

readyfordx responded:
Hi, my name is Judy and I am still waiting on a diagnosis and will be glad when I can change my name to something other than "ready for diagnosis". I have had symptoms of MS for about three years now worsening to the point of almost "not functioning" right now.

Have had several MRIs with several old lesions but no new active ones so I cannot "as I have been told" be diagnosed with MS yet..right now neuro is treating symptoms. Will be seeing new dr soon.

I am married to a great man, have three wonderful understanding and supportive children and two stepchildren just as supportive, have six grandchildren and another soon and consider myself one of the most blessed people in the world.

I live in Alabama and live a very happy and full life (at least until lately) and I am a very positive person who does not give up on anything..I feel like I owe it to my family to pursue my own health and that is what I am doing. I will not be a statistic who falls through the cracks and just exits. I will thrive on God's grace and love and may even one day be able to help others go through what I am right now.

I love this site, you guys have been my lifeline for awhile now even with the support from my family, they don't know like you do.

Oh yeah, I have worked in the medical field for 30 years and I know the ins and outs (maybe just a little too well). So watch out, I am not one to just accept things as they seem.

Thanks,

Judy

Graceonline replied to readyfordx's response:
Hey there Judy

Thanks for your post.

I have just replied to you in the VIT D discussion - following on from one of your replies.

Sorry, it did not 'twig' with me when I wrote the other reply to readyfordx that you are the Judy I believe I replied to earlier the other week.

Take care

Grace

Durum replied to readyfordx's response:
Hi, my name is Dave. My best friend suffers from advanced PP MS and another friend of mine has MS. I thought it would be good to converse with others and discuss research at this site. Unfortunately I have received a hostile reception here. Recently I posted a message conveying cool information on Vitamin D. In reply, people accused me of bad intentions and for being someone else who has dropped in before. That Vitamin D post was my first message on this site. I resolved a misunderstanding with one member but then curiously received hostile messages from other members. Then someone reported my original post and it was removed on the claim that I solicited people for research when my message did nothing of the sort. I am in absolute disbelief over how I have been treated here.

Dave

hackwriter responded:
My name is Kim and I have been a regular contributor here for several years.

I was diagnosed with RRMS in 2005. I retired on SSDI in 2009 and have since become an MS patient advocate on many online MS forums and FB MS groups. Recently I've become a patient consultant to drug companies with a focus on improving online MS patient education.

My hope for the WebMD forum is to beef up the number of MS Experts who can pop in more frequently and address the many good questions new readers have. We also need more patient experts to help answer questions. So, if you've been lurking and you know your stuff, please jump in and help out.

In addition to being a former jazz and classical flutist and pianist, I'm a writer of both literary fiction and scholarly essays. I have an MS blog, too, so feel free to read and comment--I'd love to hear from you! http://www.multiplesclerosiswrite.blogspot.com/

hackwriter replied to Durum's response:
Dave,

We certainly do value your contributions and hope you will continue to drop in and comment. Your negative self-introduction, however, makes me think you are simply looking for an apology.

If you carefully read our responses, you saw that we were not really slamming your narrative or you personally. We've had similar narratives by a credentialed person who promoted Vit D therapy and didn't have any dialogue with us. We teased you about putting forth your credentials and it should be taken in the context provided.

Remember that you have entered a forum that has a history, so do try to be sensitive to that. We've had crackpots pop in, we've had loquacious narratives dropped in by phantom "experts," so we will occasionally deconstruct a new and dubious persona. We have wounds, too, and some of them are still a bit ouchy.

Your wounds are self-inflicted, Dave. If you can heal quickly and see the bigger picture, get with our rhythms, remember that we are here to support people who are suffering--and whose suffering also colors the tone of their posts, my hope is that you will contribute and enjoy being here.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.