Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
What will be the difference shifting from Rebif to Betaferon
Chery_loo posted:
Hi all,

My friend had been diagnosed last June as having MS - Relapse Ruminate MS .. Then started mid July taking Interferon (Rebif) 3 days a week. Side effects are horrible between temperature, joint aches, severe headaches, tiredness and many more ...

Steroids had been taken twice .. A severe course before starting the interferon for 4 days and then one last September after an attack. Numbness is in both feet and almost the hands too

MRI scan had been done last November , it showed that the old legion began to stop which is good but a new legion appeared which isn't good. the new legion is in the balance zone in the brain.

From the pattern of the MS .. The body somehow antibodies for Interferon which reacts to the shots by doing attacks like the one in the hand and leg now.
The dr. gave him a month to decide if he shall continue with the current Interferon or switch to Betaferon ... please I need recommendations as soon as possible about the differences between Rebif and Betaferon and which would work better for this case?

Thanks

hackwriter responded:
Dear Chery_loo,

If you are referring to neutralizing antibodies among the interferons, Avonex has the lowest incidence of neutralizing antibodies along with the lowest incidence of side effects.

Rebif has the next highest incidence followed by Betaseron, which has the highest. These are related to the dosage, both of which are higher than Avonex.

Copaxone, which is not an interferon, has no neutralizing effect mentioned above and virtually no side effects other than injection site irritation.

Kim

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
If patients are getting significant side effects from an interferon, switching to another interferon my be no better. Using a non interferon (Copaxone) would eliminate the side effects.
But if the basic medications aren't controlling the disease effectively then a more powerful medication may be needed (Gilenya, Tysabri).

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.