Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Small Vessel Diease of the Right frontel lobe
WindmillCharger posted:
I am 65 soon to be 66 I had a Basel cell Cancer removed from my right temple and it has come back but we had an MRI as there are other factors such as double vision in my right eye & a lot of moderate pain in the area & the concern that the cancer went deep. Well the MRI came back OK! for the Cancer but showed 3 distinct areas of foci or small strokes or small vessel disease/MS no one can give me a straight answer. The symptoms seem to point to Stroke or MS depends on the day..Please some sense-able assistance would help

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
It can be difficult to make a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis from an MRI alone. Sometimes the symptoms aren't as helpful as one would like. I assume that you are seeing a neurologist for this problem. It is possible that a spinal tap could make the diagnosis. A spinal tap would show evidence of oligoclonal bands (immunological activity) in multiple sclerosis but not in stroke. Or one could repeat the MRI in a few months and see whether other changes have occurred.

WindmillCharger replied to Neil S Lava, MD's response:
Dr. Lava your response is the most positive information I have heard from a clinician to date I thank You.
Would you know of a responsible neurologist in the Chandler ,AZ area would you if so a name would be helpful. there are many listed but it's hard to know if they are, well reasonable.

Neil S Lava, MD replied to WindmillCharger's response:
I am sorry, I don't know a neurologist in your area. He could consider going to a neurology group at the medical school in Phoenix or the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix.

markmeck replied to Neil S Lava, MD's response:
dr lava my husband has been diagnosed by 2 neuroligist with ms and 2 neurologist with mini strokes, his symptoms dont fit mini strokes. He had a spinal tap about 3 years ago that was nnormal but he had about 20 spots on his brain. Were so confused if the spinal tap was normal does that mean he definetaly doesnt have ms. He had alot of weakness in his arms and legs, gets real tired if he does something more than about 30-60 minutes at a time, had bad days where hes just weak and tired so he just rests all day, somedays hes off balanced, has short term memory loss and a hard time concentrating on things can u help us

hackwriter replied to markmeck's response:
Dear Markmeck,

You'll need to make a new post to the attention of Dr. Lava. Put his name in the title heading and copy your text into the body. Dr. Lava usually answers questions on Fridays.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
105 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.