Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chronic Pain, Vision Blurring, Memory Loss, Unstable
marly26 posted:
I have been on Humira for Psoratic Arthritis and Psoriasis for approx. 1one yr. now. In the past 6 mths. or so I am finding that I am getting alot of back pain (however I do have back issues). Fingers' curl up with severe pain. As well I get severe pain in my legs which catches me off guard. Just recently I was coming up the stairs carrying and item, the pain hit so bad in my calves that I dropped what I was carrying. Since then I will not go up/down stairs without the use of the rail. Pain at the top of my spine. My physician has mentioned a pinched nerve at that point. Very fatigued at times. I can get up in the morning and within a half/to an hr. I could just go back and sleep.
I honestly dont' know what is happening and I can honestly say it is scary. The Physician at one point mentioned Fibromyalgia, I had CVR blood test done and have heard nothing. I have many very painful trigger points, my shoulders, arms, back (top/bottom) hip pain as well as this pain I described coming up the stairs. This pain itself will wake me out of a sleep that I have to quickly get out of bed, try and balance myself and then walk around, this doesn't always work. As soon as I get back into bed the pain just shoots up again. Is there anyone out there who may have the same symptoms. I am new to the site (have been on before) however have just recently made a come back. It is very hard for me to sit, if I cross my legs or plant my feet on the floor while sitting my legs go numb. Any help anyone can give me would certainly be appreciated as to what may be going on with me. I'm worried, I have hubby mystified as well as scared and worried. I dont' know what to do. There have also been some times that when I am driving my foot will go into a cramp forcing me to pull over, take my shoe off and get out and walk around, as mentioned previously this just doesn't always work. Your answers' or anyone who has this I would certainly appreciate hearing from. I am on pain meds' however its' gotten to the point that they are not working anymore. Thanks so much for just hearing me out!!

hackwriter responded:
Dear Marly,

Welcome back

If your pain meds are no longer working, tell your doctor, he/she can either adjust the dosage or try a different one.

Have you tried medications for spasticity? I take baclofen for leg cramping/pain. I do have to increase the baclofen dose from time to time, and definitely if I've been more active. I also do calf stretches to relieve sudden cramping pain, it does help. There are other spasticity meds to try such as flexeril and zanaflex if baclofen doesn't work.

Aquatherapy also helped me move without putting stress on my muscles, it is a painless form of activity.

I also take Lyrica for neuropathic pain. It relieved a new onset of all-over pain several months ago. Neurontin (gabapentin) is another popular drug for neuropathic pain. I tried that once but felt no benefit from it.

And, I too have spine issues (herniated cervical disc and arthritic lumbar spine), the drugs I mentioned above have not helped that pain. However, a massage I had three weeks ago has kept that pain at bay.

Hope this helps, and do tell your doctor that your pain meds are no longer working. It might take some trial and error, but you should get that pain under control with the right meds and dosages.

Kim

marly26 replied to hackwriter's response:
Thank you so much Kim for your reply. The Physician has changed my meds' just within the past couple of days, so we will see how they work. As for the meds' that you mentioned I cannot take as most of them contain Aspirin and I have an allergy to it. However I thank you for replying and do appreciate any reply that I may get. This new med Dilaudid may work and may not so at least I can mention the ones' that you told me about and see what he has to say.
Thank you, Rita

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
105 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.