Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Is there any reason to remove breast implants with a diagnosis of MS
An_244724 posted:
Prophylatic mastectomy and reconstruction with implant surgery, led to "frozen" sholder, which led to testing that led to diagnois of MS...

hackwriter responded:
Talk to your neurologist about this issue. Since MS is a demyelinating disease of the Central Nervous System, there isn't likely any direct connection there. However, we do know that emotional and/or physical stress (such as those experienced as the result of surgeries) can temporarily touch off MS symptoms in some patients. We also know that viruses and other infections can be triggers that activate MS that had been previously benign. Keep a symptom log and discuss with your doctor.

You might also repost this to the attention of Dr. Lava, he is our resident expert on MS. He usually pops in on Fridays to answer questions.

Kim

An_244724 responded:
Thank you...I have no idea how to repost specifically to Dr. Lava

There was a staph infection involved too....very interesting...

hackwriter replied to An_244724's response:
You can make a new post with a title heading "Dr. Lava" and then cut and paste the text of your original post.

Kim

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to hackwriter's response:
Good evening - I can forward to Dr. Lava for you.

Elizabeth

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
I am not aware of any scientific evidence that associates breast implants with multiple sclerosis. I don't see a reason to have these removed.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 63 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.