Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Blood found in spinal fluid what could it mean?
bkhc2012 posted:
Hi, first time on here. I have a question, our neurologist here in our town after a year of unexplained seizures, black outs, and intermittant loss of feeling in legs (the seizures started an hour after the epeduro was removed and she gave birth). He thinks it is possable my wife could have MS (keep in mind this has been brought to his attention by myself MANY MANY times due to my own research on symptoms she had been having), last Friday they preformed a Spinal Tap and took three viles to my understandinds, and the first was blood 9my wife rememered the Doc making a comment that it shouldn't be there. What could this mean please tell me im sooooo desperate

hackwriter responded:
Dear bkhc2012,

Blood in the spinal fluid can occur from the puncture itself or from some other causes, see the link below for the possibilities: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003428.htm .
Call your doctor and have him explain any abnormalities.

If you want to pose your question to Dr. Lava, you can make a new post and put "Dr. Lava" in the title heading. He usually answers questions on Fridays.

Kim

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
Sometimes, when we do a spinal tap, the needle may nick one of the small veins which can cause a small amount of bleeding. This is not a significant problem and the bleeding stops very quickly. It is worthwhile talking to her neurologist about this so that he can tell you exactly what happened.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Dreams: My Journey with Multiple Sclerosis
At seven years old I absolutely knew what I wanted to do with my life: become a performer and maybe head for Broadway! A basement ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.