Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
ms/strokes? can you help Dr Lava
markmeck posted:
My husband was diagnosed by 2 neurologists with ms and 2 neurologist with mini strokes. He had a spinal tap about 3 years ago that was normal but he does have about 20 spots on his brain. He has symptoms of weakness in his arms and legs, chronic fatigue, short-term memory loss, on bad days problems with balance and concentration, gets overheated very easy, cant do things for more than 30-60 minutes at atime before he needs to rest. The neuroligist says these arent symptoms of ministrokes and he doesnt know what there from. Were so confused. Can you help us. If the spinal tap was normal does that mean he definetly doesnt have ms.

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
As you are finding out, sometimes it may be difficult to make a definite multiple sclerosis. Sometimes the changes on MRI are not completely characteristic of multiple sclerosis. The spinal tap is usually abnormal in patients with multiple sclerosis but sometimes it can be normal.
It may be worthwhile having him seen in a multiple sclerosis clinic. Frequently a diagnosis can be sorted out over time. Repeat MRI may eventually clinch the diagnosis.
In the meantime treating the fatigue may help make a difference in the way he functions.

markmeck replied to Neil S Lava, MD's response:
thank you we have considered another mri and a clinic that specializes in m.s.

Angelpuff51 replied to markmeck's response:
If you have not done so, make sure to have your vitamin D and vitamin B levels checked. These can produce a lot of similar symptoms. After replacing both, I needed 4-5 hrs less sleep per day, extremity weakness, concentration and my balance improved significantly. I am a PA and now watch my patients closely and check their blood levels when they have these complaints.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Dreams: My Journey with Multiple Sclerosis
At seven years old I absolutely knew what I wanted to do with my life: become a performer and maybe head for Broadway! A basement ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.