Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
To start back on or stay off Copaxone
An_245122 posted:
I was on Copaxone for a year. I decided to stop injections Mar 2011 while I attempted to get pregnant. I was and still am taking prenatal vitamins, vitamin D, B-12 and Integra F (Iron with folic acid). Well March 2012, I went for my annual MRI and to my surprise I have no new lesions and the ones I do have have decreased in size. With 9 years of MRIs, this is a first I been told I have no new lesions and the ones I do have have decreased in size. My doctor now wants me to start back on Copaxone. Should I?

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
This is a difficult decision. Multiple sclerosis is a life long disease, although patients may not have symptoms and the disease may not progress.
The problem is that we can not predict what will happen in the future.
I think you need to have a discussion with your physician about this. You might even want to get another opinion about what to do.

LKintner replied to Neil S Lava, MD's response:
I am facing the same decision regarding Avonex. My first MRI in 1999 when I was 33, showed nearly 20 lesions. I had presented to an ENT and subsequently a Neurologist with vertigo and fatigue six months prior to my going blind overnight in December, 1999. I reported what now I know to be classic MS symptoms by history. I passed all of the "field sobriety" tests and basically was dismissed by both physicians.

I was officially diagnosed in May 2000 and started Avonex. I used it religiously for 10 years. Then I got married and started to resent the day out my life every week that I missed. I have had no new symptoms and in 2011 had a stable MRI.

I took a shot a month ago and lost sleep, feeling as though I was going to die and subsequent after effects the following day. I have not used it since. I have an appointment with my neurologist in a couple of weeks but don't yet know what I'll decide. My main symptoms are fatigue, depression and cognitive fog. I can attest, however, that these have not been worse when on the Avonex as is sometimes described.

My gut intuition tells me that my MS has plateaued and that it probably won't worsen, other than due to age, just as it hasn't appreciably changed since my early 20's, which is when my neurologist and I think it first presented. I am now 46 and "look so good"- too good to be sick.

My neurologist has mentioned Glineya (sp?) as an alternative, but I don't like anything that might affect my eyes- don't want to touch it.

What do you think?

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.