Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
help for secondary MS
suecole5 posted:
When I was first diagosed w/MS 15 years ago, it was considered to be RLRS. About 5 years ago, my neurologist declared me to be secondary. I was first put on Avonex for re. 8 years, then switched to Copaxone since then to present. Are any of these drugs etc. even recommended for secondary or am I simply wasting muscle tone and money?

hackwriter responded:
Dear sue,

Two drugs are approved to treat SPMS: Betaseron and Novantrone. Novantrone is a cancer chemo drug and is the only MS drug specifically for SPMS. Betaseron is an interferon that was originally created to treat RRMS.

More recently, Tysabri has been used in trials (but not yet approved) for SPMS.

Betaseron and Tysabri can be useful only if the patient is straddling the inflammatory phase of the disease.

Copaxone has been used on a limited basis in some PPMS and SPMS patients. This is off-label use, but could be an alternative for SPMS patients whose disease still has an inflammatory component and who cannot tolerate Betaseron.

Talk to your neuro if you have concerns about the efficacy of Copaxone and wish to discuss the alternatives.

Hope this helps.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Dreams: My Journey with Multiple Sclerosis
At seven years old I absolutely knew what I wanted to do with my life: become a performer and maybe head for Broadway! A basement ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.