Skip to content
Lumbar Puncture
readyfordx posted:
I am scheduled for a LP this friday and for some reason I am feeling anxious..I don't know if it is because I am on Warfarin (blood thinner) which I am off of right now as of last Friday and taking Lovonax inj each day up until Thurs.

Does anyone else ever feel this anxious feeling? I have noticed that I have this feeling alot lately..is that normal? I have really never been afraid to do any procedure so I don;t think it is that.. Maybe I feel I am getting close to a diagnosis and I am feeling anxious about that.

I don't know why I feel like jumping out of my skin but I do. The dr gave me a valium to take before I have the test so I know that will help. Just how important is the LP anyway..I think she just needs some positive test result to help with a diagnosis. I had a MRI data only of the gray matter of my brain and a VEP test last week, do not know the results yet.

Your thoughts needed.

Thanks, Judy

hackwriter responded:
Dear Judy,

Your anxiety may well have to do with anticipation of a diagnosis, that would be totally normal. Sounds like you've had a number of tests lately, and that can raise your anxiety level in itself. I've had a number of medical procedures over the past two months and that stressed me to the point of tears. Too much going on all at once, my coping skills went out the window.

Good that you'll have the valium on hand, I had to have I.V. sedation for my LP in April, I'd been such a wreck after a botched and painful LP performed the previous month. It went well.

The LP can be the definitive test for an MS diagnosis, it was for me. I hope you'll let us know the results of the MRI and VEP. Good luck with the LP on Friday.

Kim

readyfordx replied to hackwriter's response:
Thanks and yes I will keep you posted. I am scheduled for some type of cognitive testing on Friday also and then I am scheduled to see her on May 29th.

I like her approach, she is really looking into the gray matter lesions (something the other neuro never even mentioned to me), she said most of my symptoms are indicating gray matter activity rather than white matter. We'll see..

Thanks again,

Judy

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D
I've had MS since 2001 and had flare ups usually twice a year. Although I have mild MS with tingling and with flare up moderate pain I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.