Skip to content
Hello! New to forum...need to vent.
juskeepswimmin posted:
Hello all,
I am 38 yrs and over the past 3-4 yrs have been experiencing different symptoms: back/knee/leg/shoulder/arm/wrist pain, tingling in hands and toes, vertigo, episodes of weekness accompanied by dizziness and nausea. Only once so far that I've had pain in my eye that would shoot pain just above my ear. Although mot in any particular order, some pains are new and others that I may have had years ago.

I am taking thyroid meds for hypothyroidism, celexa, amytripilin and another one I don't know the name..a muscle relaxer..my hormones seem to be a mess...leaky breasts (have been checked), long menstral periods..really tired...and although I thought I was doing really well since my depression in2010 seems to be not so well anymore.

I have 3 kids and have a part time job. I dont have much energy, I have to almost divide up my energy durng the day for certain tasks. Its crazy. I want a full time jub eventually and not sure if I could do it.

I've been reporting these to doctors for a long time. It's driving me crazy. Like everyone here has probably said at least once...is this for real? or is it all in my head? I.m so tired of going to the doctors for the same thing over and over...they offer me meds but don't seem to want to find out the cause.

My doctor finally decided to do a bunch of tests to rule out any serious conditions and yes thank goodness so far so good. I have had tons of xrays which annoy me, cause I know that my bones are fine. It's my nerves....I feel that they are messed up and it's painful.

Now I.'ve moved and have to find a new doctor which will be an impossible task so I have to settle for walk-in clinics. The last doctor I saw I had to basically ask to be seen from a neurologist to rule out or in MS. He wasn't very convinced that it was necessary although I had went through all the symptoms. So I now I wait for this appointment. What can I expect from this appointment?

My older brother has MS dx about 10yrs ago and I have a cousin who has recently been diagnosed. I know what my brother went through and is going through ...although he has more severe symtoms....so many things are similar. I just want answers.

I feels really good to vent... I havnt really talked much about my pains to anyone but my doctors and alittle to my husband.

Thank you very much for reading.

CTguy28 responded:
It's ok we're all in the same boat.

juskeepswimmin responded:
Not happy about the fact that so many people are left up in the air...but good to know that many are have the same experiences .... amongst many other symptoms I forgot to add to the weird list....itchy right pinky?...anyone experience this? It could last for days then it stops. When I try to scratch to relieve the itch...I could feel tinglin in my spine and shoots up to the back of my head.

hackwriter responded:
Dear jus,

Your neurology appointment will involve a clinical exam that tests your strength, balance, coordination and reflexes. Bring a list of symptoms you've been experiencing, the doc should listen carefully to your history--and take seriously your family members' history of MS. If your clinical exam shows abnormalities consistent with MS, the neuro might then order brain and spine MRIs to check for demyelinating lesions. A lumbar puncture is another MS diagnostic test that checks for o-bands in the spinal fluid, an indication of inflammation in the Central Nervous System.

Please do let us know the results of your neuro appointment. Good luck, I hope it isn't MS.

Kim

juskeepswimmin replied to hackwriter's response:
Thank you very much for your responses. I had a prescriptionh in my purse from the last doctor I saw. I havnt had the chance to pick it up yet but decided to look it up...Lyrica 25. The doctor told me to try it for a month and that it would help me with the pain. I see that it is used for fibromyalga..he had asked me if I had a diagnoses for that and I said no....my previous doctor before I moved was a little skeptic in giving me that diagnoses because of other symptoms. He didn' really know my history and didn't give me the chance to talk about it either. This is where I asked for him to refer me to a neurologist. Will this help me with pain regardless of what it's really used for?

hackwriter replied to juskeepswimmin's response:
Yes, Lyrica will help relieve neuropathic pain regardless of the cause (MS, Fibro, diabetes, etc.). I've taken it recently in 100 mg doses and it did help me. But be sure to take it at night before bedtime, it can cause dizziness, fatigue, drowsiness, brain fog, all the things you don't want to battle during your waking hours.

If you are starting at 25 mg a day and you feel no relief, you can titrate the dose up slowly, ask your doctor about that. It can take time to find the right dose of any medication.

Another option is gabapentin, it's a lot less expensive than Lyrica because it is a generic, and, like Lyrica, it is an anti-seizure med originally created for epilepsy that is used off-label to treat neuropathic pain.

Do let us know how you fare on Lyrica should you decide to try it.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 63 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.