Skip to content
New here, 28 yo M/think I have MS/need to bounce Syn off you guys
CTguy28 posted:
Hey everyone,

I've been having a weird collection of random synthoms, that have gotten weirder over the past -I would say year that I think are MS related, and I just need to bounce this off people in the same boat so I don't feel like I'm crazy.

My right eye every once in a while has these spasms that the eye doctor said was stress related when I went. It feels like pulsing in my eye, almost like a muscle spasm. It comes and goes.

Sometimes I have days where either after exercising, or being in heat, or over sleeping there's this almost caffeine-high like feeling that shoots through my body but I'm not fully coordinated it feels like. It's hard to explain, but its like if you drank gallons of coffee and you make weird energetic movements that don't hurt but isn't the normal way you move. It's a weird energy that I could also feel and my muscles weak during it too. There's not sudden jerks or anything noticeable, but my overall grounding is off in my regular movements. Best way I could describe it.

I have extreme fatigue that mirrors the time I had Mono in college. I can sleep 1-12 hours a day and feel the same way.

Sometimes when I lay down at night I get itchy sensations all over or little pinches, which I thought were bed bug bites/allergic to fabric comforter. But realized its nerve related as I never have a rash or clearly bed bugs. This happens in like sporadic sets.

My arms and legs go to sleep sometimes, and it takes a good while to get the blood back into them to use.

2 times in one month (last month) I couldn't feel the temperature of the water when I was showering. This was when I first started looking at MS as a reason online.

Then two weeks ago my back gave out, which felt like a major muscle spasm (my legs went out too) and I had to go to the ER where they gave me pain killers and muscle relaxers. They said if it happens again consult a neuro. There was pain and weakness shooting back and forth all throughout my body. I took a hot shower hoping to relieve the "pulled back muscle," and then after I couldn't even bend or have the power to put shorts on. So my mom helped dress me and we went to the ER. My body felt overall like it locked up, and that my upper body was stronger. I was really scared, and it felt like/I thought that was it I'm going to be paralyzed. The Hospital decided not to take x-rays because they said it would only take bone, and I think they lessoned the issue because I wasn't ambulanced in. Plus I had no prior back issues. So they said if the back issues come back see a neuro.

Now I'm 28 years old, and in good shape. I run and go to the gym 3 times a week, and eat healthy so all of these weird things boggle my mind. I think the back issue is a major sign that something's up. Do you guys think I should use this back thing as quick cut way to seeing a neuro? I tried talking to my parents and friends about this and they all seem to just say it's stress related. I feel like if I go the route of my regular doctor he'll downgrade this all too at first. I mean I honestly ...could accept that I have MS, but I just don't want to go through being dicked around with the constant wondering is it or is it this. After reading some horror stories about it being dragged out etc, etc , I think using the back is my best option. What do you guys think? I know that sounds bad, you guys know, you know?

hackwriter responded:
Dear CT,

It is reasonable to follow up with a neurologist, there are many, many conditions that share common symptoms such as those you are experiencing. So I wouldn't jump on the MS bandwagon at this point.

Blood tests can reveal some kinds of inflammatory and/or autoimmune conditions (but not MS). Brain and spine MRIs can reveal demyelinating lesions as well as spine problems such as herniated discs and nerve impingements, tumors, stroke.

As so many of us have discovered, you must urge your PCP to refer you for more testing. Unfortunately, you probably will get "dicked around" some more before you begin to get some answers. Stand your ground, log your symptoms, and keep an open mind about what is causing your problems.

Do let us know what you find out.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Reliv does work
I thought Reliv was a hoax too. But it's not. You need to take it regularly and consistently and it proves miracles. My mom was diagnosed ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.