Skip to content
Why does heat hurt us so much?
BodoJ posted:
It's a beautiful 85 degrees out today in Texas but it feels like a roasting oven of 120 degrees. I have MS. Can anyone explain why we are so susceptible to heat related problems and does anyone else feel like a roasting oven when it's really just a nice day out?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

hackwriter responded:
Dear Bodo,

Our CNS nerves are already short-circuiting from myelin damage, and heat makes those signals operate even less efficiently, bringing on worsened weakness, fatigue, spasticity, or dizziness.

It happened to me during our first 80 degree day last week. It took only 10 minutes driving in a hot car to suddenly develop such weakness that I could barely lift my foot to the accelerator. When I walked from the car to the house, I struggled up the steps and had to sit in a cool house for two hours to get back to baseline again.

Kim

mmthlvr responded:
I'm having a real hard time with the heat. I can't think, walk, my muscles are twitching like there is no tomorrow. I also get dizzy, nausea & extremely tired. You are not alone & if you haven't already you should get a cooling vest. Just got mine out & will be wearing it tomorrow. Stay cool!!
Hugs,
Tammy

Saterika responded:
I feel your pain. I have not had an official diagnosis, but I have a lot of the same problems with heat. I feel like I cant think, and I am weak, and just feel sluggish and hurt.

NanaJudy6 replied to Saterika's response:
DITTO...same here..heat kills me (feel all the same symptoms you guys are talking about) still no diagnosis but keeping my chin up. Got results today from MRI (data only) on the gray matter..normal..LP..normal..VEP..normal...then why don't I feel normal..LOL

Will be going back to immunologist/rheumatologist June 11 for results of mega blood work..will see. neuro wants me to come back in Aug for another MRI. when will it end? gotta keep going though..

Good luck to us all and God bless us all.

Judy

PinkCupcake13 replied to NanaJudy6's response:
Hi everyone. I have major issues with heat and humidity. I live in Minnesota. I love winter, but late spring and summer makes me feel extremely ill. Everyone says it's because I'm obese, but they don't realize that I've only been feeling this way for the last couple years. I have photosensitive epilepsy as well. I have issues with being fatigued, weak, tingly and the backs of my hands have almost no feeling in them. I do not have diabetes or heart problems. I am of mostly northern European ancestry. I have an appointment next week to figure this out. Seems like I practically live at the doctors office! Does anyone else here feel like they are drunk and unsteady when walking? I run into things a lot. I also get confused easily, and I have a really bad memory, so I feel ditzy. Sorry my post is so long. I hope we all find answers and feel our best despite our battles. Good luck to all! -Best Wishes-

beckym2005 responded:
I just bought a towel from Bed bath and beyond called a Frog Togg - Its a cooling towel and its helping me with the heat. It really works -its probaly not as good as a cooling vest but for 15 bucks i plan on going back to get a couple more. The towel keeps the water in it and it does not leave your shirt soaking like a regular towel.

Reggy29 responded:
I noticed just latley that I do not sweat anymore is it just me or am I onto something?Here in Alberta Canada it is a pleasent 60 o farenheit @ 10 AM, but around noon it becomes unbearable @ a very humid 75 degrees I can definetly wait for summer.

Tarriwal responded:
I feel your pain, the heat is like Kryptonite for me. What I do on occasion is put my feet in a bucket of cold water with ice and literally just chill at home reading a book in doors. Also taking aspirin or ibuprofen also helps me manage my body over heating during the day and at night, good luck. I hate the summer now!!!
[a name=_MailAutoSig> Sandy Jittla

howard0425 replied to Tarriwal's response:
Several years ago before my diagnosis, I would go to the gym to workout. Eliptical trainer, recumbant bike, and other machines. LNomatter how hard I trained, I would not sweat. My bil noticed also that I wasn't sweating. At first I thought I wasn't pushing myself. Only later did I come to realize that I wasn't regulating body temperature and so could not disapate heat properly. Instead, I would walk around like I was drunk. I couldn't walk a straight line and I needed to rest and cool down for a bit.

JeanetteHall replied to PinkCupcake13's response:
I live in Hastings. Grew up in southern IL on a farm. I've had problems with the heat since I was little. Doctor back home told me I was nuts on a regular basis. My mother has been told by her doctor she probably has it. My aunt from her side of the family has it, so does all of her daughters. My moms mom may have had it, but she never got tested, before she passed away. Personally I think it runs in the family, but I'm not a doctor. I hate summer. 40 degrees below zero is my favorite temp. I could live without the snow, but if it happens, I don't complain. Have been wheelchair bound since I came to MN, but I used to be able to walk, run, all the normal things people do. I spend a lot of time on the floor playing with our cat. I am fortunate enough that my husband hasn't left me, since I can no longer work for a living. Just don't give up. You will beat it eventually!
Talk to you later. Jeanette

choclvrmom responded:
Wow!!! I was diagnosed with MS 12 yrs ago after many yrs of undiagnosed symptoms. I have had all of these symptoms at one time or another. I grew up and live in north Iowa. I have always been obese and remember perspiring constantly. Since I was diagnosed, I have noticed that I don't perspire anymore and become chilly easily. The heat is not my friend, nor the cold. Please don't feel alone. Keeping a positive attitude has helped me many times to cope. Also, attend a Support Group if you are not already. I have said many times that "MS is a blessing in disguise" for me. I was working at a very stressful job before I went on Disability.
"I have MS; but MS doesn't have me."

booksbaby replied to mmthlvr's response:
Man I feel your pain. I have the same problems. I have been hanging in my house during the heat of the day. What is a cooling vest and where do I get one?

booksbaby replied to JeanetteHall's response:
What a great attitude. Thanks

ChristineJohnson replied to Tarriwal's response:
I too compensate by planning my day to be active in the cool parts of the day and moved to 3 blocks of Lake Michigan so the coolness of the lake helps. Otherwise i use mid afternoon to sit in the AC and write or relax and watch old movies. i am not able to work any longer and i also avoid stress. It means there are many things i can not do- but i have learned contentment comes with wanting to do what I can. Blessings and balance to all.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Fatigue
Has anyone ever included bee pollen with their diet? I also take niacin. Bee pollen seems to have help me with the fatigue factor along ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.