Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
I'm so frustrated, Dr Lava Can you help?
BeckTay posted:
I have had the work up for MS the MRI came back as inconclusive, and the spinal tap came back with blood in it and said it was prob due to the spinal tap procedure, so nobody wants to say its MS, but i have significant weakness on my left side, i have alot of memory loss, i amextremely sensitive to the heat. I cant even go into a store fore long because i get hot and then sick, i have had the epstein bar virus for years that flairs up alot. the fatigue is more than i can take sometimes . I read that the Epstein bar virus can bring on MS is that true?i have a SUV andi have lost so much strength in my lt arm and leg that its frustrating. when i go to my Doctor and bring it up she wants me to go to a neurologist, i asked herto do a lupus test because alot os the symtoms are the same. she did and said they were normal. Please give me some advice i also have joint tremors deep in my heart i feel its MS but nobody will diagnose it, Thank you for your time

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
It is frustrating not having a diagnosis. Sometimes it takes a while before one can make a formal diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. If you have not seen a neurologist, then it would be appropriate for you to see one. However sometimes a second neurological opinion can be very helpful. You may need to wait and have a repeat MRI to see if changes occur that would help support this diagnosis.
There is an association between the Epstein-Barr virus and multiple sclerosis. Being exposed to this virus is very common in the general population but epidemiological data tells us that exposure to this virus is a risk factor for development of multiple sclerosis. It is important to realize that most people exposed to this virus do not develop MS.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Reliv does work
I thought Reliv was a hoax too. But it's not. You need to take it regularly and consistently and it proves miracles. My mom was diagnosed ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.