Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
MS and Menstration
tina32jr posted:
I was officially diagnoised a little over a year ago. My symptoms seem to flair up once a month when I start menstrating. This month my legs and feet are VERY swollen and more tingling than ever before. Is this something more women are experiencing? Any suggestions? I used to take warm baths to help with cramping and other PMS related symptoms but that is not an option now.

hackwriter responded:
Dear tina,

You might be experiencing pseudo-flares, a temporary worsening that lasts for a few days. Heat, stress, and hormones can cause this, and there are things you can do to be more comfortable.

I have experienced swollen ankles, worsened fatigue, cramping and pain during PMS and other times in my cycle. Since I've started taking hydrochlorothiazide (a diuretic), upped my baclofen dose for spasticity/leg cramps, and taken Lyrica or gabapentin when neuropathic pain became a problem, I've been much more comfortable. I no longer retain fluid in my ankles and feet. I take ibuprofen for menstrual cramps on top of that and it has helped me. I will soon start taking a progesterone supplement, too, as I've recently experienced a change in my cycles.

Sometimes MS is just part of the problem, and sometimes it's something else entirely, that's why it's important to tell your doc what's going on. Tell your doctor about your symptoms worsening during the beginning of your menstrual cycle, he/she might run some tests and can advise you about your treatment options.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D
I've had MS since 2001 and had flare ups usually twice a year. Although I have mild MS with tingling and with flare up moderate pain I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.