Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Urinary tract infections
pstall posted:
I was diagnosed in 96 and have done pretty good until recently. The main problem is urinary tract infections. I keep having them and I honestly don't think they have ever gone away. I keep taking antibiotics, even different ones, but they just come back. I see a urologist and after tests were done it was found that I don't empty by bladder and was put on
Flomax. The side effects were dizziness and fatigue so I quit taking it. I'm so scared that I'll have to be catherized, scared because a friend of mine with ms passed away due to an awful infection from one. I always feel awful, this is no way to live.

hackwriter responded:
Dear pstall,

Sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time with chronic UTIs and so sorry that your friend suffered a fatal infection.

I can't be of help offering advice since I've only suffered one bout of urethritis since my 2005 MS dx (Bactrim cleared it up immediately), Vesicare keeps my OAB under control, and I don't need to self-cath. Perhaps someone who does self-cath will post a response and share the pros and cons.

I hope you'll discuss your concerns with your doctor and make the best decision for you. Do give us an update about your treatment.

Kim

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
I understand your concerns about catheterization. If you do need to use intermittent self catheterization you may find that this makes life better for you. Once you learn the technique you may find that this is an easy task and with good sterile technique you can avoid infection most of the time.
If you continue to keep urine in your bladder the concern is infection and eventual kidney damage without proper treatment. I think it is appropriate for you to share your concerns with your urologist so that you can work together creating a comfortable treatment plan for you.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.