Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Confused about trying Gilenya
alleet posted:
I hqave been using the Copaxone injection therapy since diagnosed with RRMS in 1999. I have been presented with the option of changing to the Gilenya therapy. I am so confused because I really want to stop the injections. My body would love that. But I am eally concerned with the cost of the Gilenya.

Currently, the Shared Solutions support group contributes to my co-pay through insurance for the Copaxone. My share is only $60.00 for a three months' supply of injections. I am worried that I will not be able to afford this new therapy. Can anyone suggest if they are receiving assitance from Novartis as discussed in their brochures and if it does help to make this therapy more affordable.

I want to stop the injections, but I really can't afford to give up the assistance from Shared Solutions and the great co-pay I have on the Copaxone. Want to change for my body's sake but my finances are saying NO!! Can anyone help me with suggestions.

hackwriter responded:
Dear alleet,

Novartis, along with all pharma companies who offer MS disease-modifying therapies, offers a patient assistance program similar to that of Teva Neuroscience.

You can investigate the Novartis patient assistance guidelines by visiting their website or calling their number, both are listed in the link below:

http://mscare.org/cmsc/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1076&Itemid=1465

Novartis also offers a free first dose of Gilenya. You can try it while you are applying for the program at no charge, ask your neuro or call Novartis for details. As you probably know, you'll have to get several tests before starting the drug which include an ophthalmology exam and cardiac testing.

Hope this helps.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Fatigue
Has anyone ever included bee pollen with their diet? I also take niacin. Bee pollen seems to have help me with the fatigue factor along ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.