Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can people with MS get Mono?
Luvlor posted:
Hi~I am new here and was diagnosed last Sept. and was told I have probably had it for approx. for 27yrs with all the different things I have had and been through. I was relieved to finally get an answer to why all these strange things were happening to me. Now I know my immune system in compromised or barely existent. Here's my question: Just found out my 22yr old niece has Mono really bad and I have been around her recently a few times within this past month. Can a person with MS get Mono cause someone told me we can't. I would like to know if it's true or not. I am normally tired, but lately I have been more so than usually and have developed a bad cough with phlegm. I just found out about the Mono Last night. Thanks for your help! Sincerely. Luvlor

hackwriter responded:
Dear Luvlor,

Some studies have shown a link between Epstein-Barr virus (mono) and MS, though that connection isn't quite clear yet. From what I've read, however, EBV infection precedes the development of MS.

Several studies theorize that 100% of MS patients are positive for Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), and that as much as 95% of the adult population in general have the antibodies. It usually hits people between ages 10-35, but it's not always symptomatic (I've never had mono and I don't know if I have the antibodies).
So, it's quite likely that you already have the antibodies, but if you don't, it seems entirely possible for you to contract infectious EBV, as MS patients are vulnerable to any number of infections--and notably to the family of herpes infections to which EBV belongs.

Here's a link that defines EBV, its symptoms and incubation period, what other conditions can mimic EBV, tests you can have to find out if you've been infected, and what doctors do if you have it: http://www.healthscout.com/ency/1/44/main.html

It's always a good idea to see your doctor whenever you have new symptoms or the old ones worsen.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
105 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.