Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Painful Legs during sleep and blood tests questions
Jivon2 posted:
I was diagnosed with MS in 2007. Most of my symptoms are located in my legs, arms, and cognitive abilities. In 2010, I was diagnosed with Raynaud's.

During the past two months, my knees have been experiencing EXTREME pain mostly during my sleep. It is difficult to turn over in the bed because I cannot take the pain in my knees. Now the pain has spread to an aching feeling in both thighs.

I visited the ER last night requesting x-rays to see what's going on in my knees. Instead, they took blood tests and gave me steriod treatment and pain medicine via IV. The treatment helped only a little bit.

The nurse informed me that my sed rate was slightly elevated (13). When I researched sed rates...this number seems to fall between the normal range for women. My Hct, Hgb, BUN and AGAP results were a bit low.

Two questions:

1. Can anyone else relate to these symptoms?
2. How are lab reports from hospitals different than standard reports from other medical-related web sites? Which is more accurate?

hackwriter responded:
Dear Jivon2,

I have MS and can relate to the knee and thigh pain during sleep that you've described. In my case it is MS-related muscle spasticity and neuropathic pain. I take baclofen (a muscle relaxer) which does a lot to relieve the cramping and pain, and I've taken Lyrica for neuropathic pain with good results. My knee and thigh pain usually go away as soon as I get out of bed. For some of us, MS spasticity is worse when we are lying down.

The little I know about sed rate is that this test doesn't mean much by itself, it is done along with other tests to detect inflammation and attempt to pinpoint the cause. Maybe one of our professional experts can address your question.

Kim

Herb Karpatkin, PT, DSc, NCS, MSCS responded:
The 2 most likely culprits are spasticity and neuropathic pain (or some combination). The fact that they are interfering with your sleep indicates that they need to be treated. Your MD can prescribe the medications Baclofen or Tizanidine for the spasticity, and Neurontin for the neuropathic pain. Make sure you speak with your MD about this.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Repair the Myelin Sheath?
I'm no Dr. but this is what I did: The Myelin Sheath is made from 3 fatty acids- Omega 3 & 6 & DHA. There is aproduct called ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.