Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
fatigue and exercise
An_246310 posted:
Happy fourth to all

I have a question. I would like to know how many people workout or exercise when they have constant pain and fatigue? I feel like I should be doing more for the experts say exercise is good, but if I am not feeling well how am I expected to workout? I am constantly on my feet working in the field as a SW. Just curious to know others thoughts.

Thank you

hackwriter responded:
I don't exercise when I'm in pain and very weak. Most days I make sure to get up and walk around at regular intervals so I won't sit for more than an hour. Some short errands around town several days a week is all I can muster, and a short walk when I'm up to it. I've stopped putting pressure on myself to "exercise," I simply can't do it the way I once did. Moving is exercise. Just listen to your body and do what you can.

Kim

Herb Karpatkin, PT, DSc, NCS, MSCS responded:
The first question I would ask you is about your pain, as in my experience MS pain can often be treated medically and many of my MS patients have found that once they have achieved adequate medical management ofd their pain they were able to engage in exercise programs with much greater frequency and intensity.
It has also been my experience that much of the pain that persons with MS experience is not neuropathic but orthopedic in nature and therefore amenable to treatment with physical therapy.
On days when you feel like your fatigue rather than pain is keeping you from exercising, you should be aware that medications for fatigue are also availlable. My patients have reported improved ability to exercise after using medications such as ampyra and provigil.
Even on days where your pain and fatigue are preventing you from your regular exercise program, there are alternative exercise approaches which are less physically stressful but still can maintain or improve your fitness. These include stretching programs, particularly of your legs, aquatic programs, and breathing and meditation.
Persons with MS should always try to guard against immobility as it can seriously complicate many of the other symptoms. Therefore whenever pain, fatigue, or some other MS symptom prevents you from engaging in your regular exercise or mobility activity, you should speak yo your physician to see if there is a medical intervention, or a PT with experience in MS to investigate whether there is an orthopedic cause.

vplucky replied to Herb Karpatkin, PT, DSc, NCS, MSCS's response:
Thank you for your response. My doctor has prescribed cymbalta for the pain. she opted not to prescribe pt for i am always on my feet due to the work i do. she said if i was immobile she would have prescribed pt. i am also sensitive to medication so my neurologist i reluctant to prescribe medications. i do deep breathing exercises and i do meditate.

vplucky replied to hackwriter's response:
thank you for your honest answer. it is nice to hear that other people suffer the way i do and it is not in my head. and yes moving is exercise. smiles

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Tip for hives
My daughter suffers with hives, they have never found out what causes her hives either. We thought since I was recently diagnosed that ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.