Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Causing damage?
goldfinchie posted:
I have always been the kind of person that works hard in the yard and had a 12 hr. shift job. It has been pretty warm here lately,@95. I still work alot in the yard n such. It does kick my butt,but I don't know if it's a case of just getting over it or if I'm actually doing harm to myself. Most of my MS symptoms thus far are cognitive. My speech does get pretty slurred when I overdo it. I also get a brain fog. Feels like I'm high on somrthing. Does a person know if I'm actually doing damage or not. My husband has a keep on keepin on attitude. I don't want to turn into a couch patatoe if I don't have to but, don't want to be asking for trouble either. Any input is appreciated.

hackwriter responded:
Goldfinch,

Heat and activity will temporarily worsen your symptoms, but it won't make your disease more aggressive. Remember that it is our immune systems that are attacking the myelin and causing damage, not anything outside the Central Nervous System.

Most MSers feel terrible in extreme heat and humidity and become very ill until they relax and cool down. If you can handle it and want to push yourself, all power to you. But please listen to your body, take frequent breaks, and keep well-hydrated.

Kim

goldfinchie replied to hackwriter's response:
Kim, thanks for your input. Sounds weird but, I'm having to work at (adjust) to pacing myself and getting a nap in. It is getting easier as I am learning the hard way that I need to do these things.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
105 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.