Skip to content
Secondary Progressive MS Woman on Tysabri IV
KathySL posted:
My daughter has Secondary Progressive MS and is being treated with Tysabri IV. She would like to know if she could try Bee Sting Therapy while on Tysabri?

hackwriter responded:
Dear Kathy,

Apitherapy is an experimental alternative therapy that proposes to reduce nerve inflammation with bee venom. It is used to treat symptoms and isn't meant to affect disease course, flares, or lesion load--nor has it been proven in any studies to do this.

Of course, she will want to be sure that she is not allergic to bee venom before trying apitherapy!

Neuros are fairly up to date on alternative treatments such as acupuncture and apitherapy, so she could discuss this treatment with her doctor and get some input from a professional first. I wouldn't count on an apitherapy provider to give her sound advice on how Tysabri interacts with bee venom.

If she decides to try apitherapy while on Tysabri, she should report the treatment schedule it to her neurologist and the TOUCH program on a regular basis along with all other symptom medications and treatments.

Kim

KathySL replied to hackwriter's response:
Thank you for getting back with me on this. You have given sound advice. We were interested in Apitherapy because we were hoping it would help in my daughter's walking. She is very limited in her walking ability and thought the venom would help her to walk better. We will ask her doctor before we try it.

Kathy

swampster1952 replied to KathySL's response:
Hello Kathy,

She will probably be able to run when the person with the bees comes towards her! My wife has occasionally kept hives of honey bees over the years and I have been stung numerous times. At no time did I feel any change in my symptoms.

But, some people do "swear" by it (dang that hurts!) but my personal opinion is it isn't worth the cost, the pain or the death of the honey bee that is doing the stinging.

To each there own though. If your daughter does give it a try would you come back here and let us know how it goes?

Dave

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
106 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.